Released to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the documents are the first investigative records to be made public since President Joe Biden ordered a review of the declassification of material that had been out of sight for years.
The newly released document, dating from 2016, provides details of an FBI investigation investigating alleged logistical support provided by a consular official and a suspected Saudi Arabian intelligence agent in Los Angeles to at least two people who hijacked the plane in the September 11, 2001 attacks. significant editorial.
Quoted from CNN, Sunday (12/9/2021), this document details some of the connections and witness testimony that prompted the FBI’s suspicions of Omar al-Bayoumi, a Saudi Arabian student in Los Angeles but suspected of being an intelligence agent. travel, lodging and financing assistance to assist the two hijackers who carried out the September 11 attacks.
Earlier, the Saudi Arabian Embassy in Washington said it welcomed the release of the FBI documents.
“Any accusation that Saudi Arabia was involved in the September 11 attacks is absolutely false,” the Saudi embassy said.
Biden’s executive order comes after more than 1,600 people affected by the attacks sent Biden a letter asking him to refrain from going to Ground Zero in New York City to mark the 20th anniversary of the terror attack unless he released the information. The letter partly questioned Saudi Arabia’s role, suggesting that members of the Saudi Arabian government had been involved in supporting the attacks.