Home » today » World » Ukraine update: Moscow tries to keep new wave of mobilizations secret

Ukraine update: Moscow tries to keep new wave of mobilizations secret

ISW: Moscow is trying to keep the second wave of mobilization secret

According to military experts of theInstitute for the Study of War(ISW), the Russian government is currently planning a second wave of mobilisation, but is trying to keep it secret. Russia’s Telegram channels are currently discussing an alleged move notice that a St. Petersburg man is said to have received.

Several military bloggers in Russia are currently speculating that general mobilization will be convened in December or January.

Heavy fighting in Donetsk

Heavy fighting between Russian and Ukrainian troops continues in the Donetsk region of eastern Ukraine, according to President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. There is “neither relaxation nor a pause for breath,” Zelensky said in his daily video address on Friday evening. About 100 Russian attacks had been repulsed the day before in the Donetsk region.

Ukrainian troops would be supported by border guard units from Kharkiv and Sumy. A National Guard brigade is fighting in Bakhmut. “We will not yield to the enemy in any of the areas of the front,” Zelenskyy said. “We react everywhere, we hold our positions everywhere.”

The Russian military had captured large parts of Donetsk and annexed it in violation of international law in September, along with the neighboring Luhansk region, Zaporizhia and Kherson to the south. The Russian army, under pressure from the Ukrainian counter-offensives, has meanwhile evacuated the regional capital Kherson and the area north-west of the Dnipro river. Authorities in Zaporizhia also reported a Russian missile attack on an industrial complex late Friday evening.

Despite fierce fighting in the coal and steel region of Donbass, the course of the front has hardly changed at the moment, according to military situation reports from both sides. In the nearly nine months since the Russian invasion on February 24, Russian forces have made little progress there. According to Ukrainian sources, some of the forces released from the withdrawal from Kherson have been transferred to eastern Ukraine to step up attacks there.

Former Ambassador Melnyk now Deputy Foreign Minister of Ukraine

Former Ukrainian ambassador to Germany, Andriy Melnyk, has been named his country’s deputy foreign minister. The government made this decision on Friday, Melnyk told the German news agency. However, his exact area of ​​responsibility has not yet been determined. Melnyk had made his name with criticism of the federal government that was unusually harsh for a diplomat. Melnyk’s successor as ambassador in Berlin is Oleksii Makeiev.

Zelensky calls for more sanctions against Russia

In view of massive Russian attacks, the Ukrainian head of state has called for new sanctions from the West. “We need a new package of European sanctions,” he said in another video message to the Irish university community. Russian aggression, like Russian lies, doesn’t stop for a day. “Therefore, international pressure on Russia shouldn’t be eased for a single day.”

Selenskyj accused Moscow of having violated several points of the final declaration of the G20 summit on the Indonesian island of Bali, also supported by Russia. The declaration underlines the importance of international law and a multilateral system as a guarantee of peace and stability. Russia, on the other hand, continues to destroy international relations by pretending to fight together with everyone against this destabilization. Moscow is mobilizing all resources to become the “largest terrorist state in history,” Zelensky said.

The Ukrainian power grid is under repair

According to Zelensky, technicians across the country are trying to restore power after massive Russian attacks on Ukraine’s power and electricity systems. Because of this, the number of unscheduled power outages has already decreased significantly. In 17 regions and in the capital Kyiv, however, the energy supply is still difficult. Among other things, the regions of Kyiv, Odessa, Vinnytsia and Ternopil are in a “very difficult situation”.

Russian missile strikes have apparently damaged Ukraine’s power grid more than previously known. “Nearly half of our energy system has failed,” Prime Minister Denys Schmyhal said at a news conference with EU Vice-President Valdis Dombrovskis. Ukraine therefore needs further support from the European Union in the field of energy and also financially. Network operator Ukrenerho has announced that there will also be scheduled nationwide power outages on Saturday.

Ukraine wants to jointly produce weapons with NATO

The Ukrainian state arms company Ukroboronprom wants to produce heavy weapons and military equipment together with at least six NATO member states. The group announced that agreements have been concluded with Poland, France, Denmark, the Czech Republic and some other countries. Joint arms companies would be established and ammunition production lines would be built. Furthermore, according to the Ukrainian group, armored vehicles and multiple rockets will have to be jointly produced and new high-tech weapons will have to be developed.

Mined 30 percent of Ukrainian territory

According to sources in Kiev, about 30% of the Ukrainian territory is mined as a result of the Russian war of aggression. This is about twice the size of Austria, the state emergency service said. Explosive ordnance clearance continues in Kherson and Mykolaiv regions. More than 8000 square kilometers have to be demined.

It will be important on Saturday

In Poland, one of the two victims of the rocket launch will be buried in a state funeral on Saturday. A rocket hit the Polish village of Przewodow six kilometers near the Ukrainian border on Tuesday. The West currently assumes that it was a Ukrainian anti-aircraft missile used to defend against Russian attacks.

Read also: Ukraine November 18 update.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.