Home » today » Health » Small Livestock Producers in La Viña and Guachipas Raise Concerns Over Vaccine Price Hike in Meeting with Senate Commission

Small Livestock Producers in La Viña and Guachipas Raise Concerns Over Vaccine Price Hike in Meeting with Senate Commission

Small livestock producers from La Viña and Guachipas raised this Wednesday a series of problems that afflict the sector, during a meeting with the Senate Agriculture, Transportation and Livestock Commission.

The meeting was headed by the president of the commission, Walter Wayar and included the participation of the senators, Diego Cari; Esteban D’Andrea; Jorge Soto; Luis Altamirano and the president of the Production Commission of the Chamber of Deputies, Néstor Parra. Representing the producers, Juan Tapia attended; Ramiro Chávez and Claudio Núñez.

The producers expressed that, for the current immunization campaign against foot and mouth disease, which began on April 3, the price of the vaccine was raised to two dollars per head, when in neighboring countries it is sold between 32 and 70 cents. In this sense, they requested that a price review be negotiated with legislators and national authorities, since operating costs must be added to that value, which makes production even more expensive.

They warned that – of the total health cost of the farm – foot-and-mouth vaccination affects 60% and the remaining 40% is distributed among other items.

They considered that the national announcement to allow the importation of vaccines would allow this cost to be decompressed, although they warned that the deadlines for this to be achieved are not yet known. They clarified that the imported ones are bivalent vaccines, unlike the tetravalent ones that are applied in Argentina and produced mostly by the Bío Genesis Bagó laboratory.

They also raised the need for the National Animal Health Service (SENASA) to recognize the different regional identities to face the realities experienced by production in each area.

They gave as an example the existence of policies aimed at the production of the humid pampas that are applied throughout the country and that are not effective in these areas. “We need regional identity since here we are in the mountains, without roads, where, for example, the herding of animals is not allowed; Nor are the vaccination periods designed at the national level useful here because the second campaign arrives at a time when the animals are weak after the winter,” the producers expressed.

There were also concerns about how bureaucratic it is to attend from the entire region to the only delegation in the Lerma Valley, located in Moldes, to carry out procedures that could be done digitally.

In turn, at the proposal of the president of the Commission, the senators resolved to convene all the actors in the system as soon as possible in order to unify criteria and propose improvements to SENASA.

Senator Wayar pointed out that we are talking about subsistence production and it is necessary for the enforcement authorities to understand the reality of the regional economy, which is why he proposed working together with the Province, national legislators and production entities to manage the improvements. .

Senator Soto said that the problem raised by the producers of La Viña and Guachipas is repeated throughout the province and to a large extent throughout the country, which is why it is important that they can be nuclearized to give more weight to the claim.

2024-04-10 23:15:32
#Agriculture #small #livestock #producers #raised #problems #sector #Senate

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.