Kovrig and Spavor will have more access to their families

(Ottawa) Canada has secured an agreement from China to allow Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig greater access to their families and consular services.


Posted on January 13, 2021 at 10:15 p.m.

The Canadian Press

A spokeswoman for Foreign Minister Marc Garneau said the agreement was reached “in recent months” for the two Canadians, who have been detained in China for more than two years. Syrine Khoury did not offer further details.

The government was pushing to guarantee better consular access to the two Michael’s, but this is the first time that the family of the two men is mentioned.

Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig were arbitrarily arrested in December 2018, in what is widely seen as retaliation for the arrest of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou in Vancouver at the behest of the Americans.

Mme Khoury confirmed that Canada granted travel exemptions late last year to Mr.me Meng and her two children to visit her in Vancouver, where she is awaiting an extradition hearing.

She did not elaborate on the agreement reached to allow greater consular and family access to the two Canadians.

“The family of Mme Meng has been authorized by IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) officials to travel to Canada, ”said Mr.me Khoury in an email sent Wednesday.

“As in all cases, this decision was made in accordance with Canadian law and in strict accordance with current travel regulations. ”

Canada continues to call for the immediate release of the two men, she added.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Trending