The boiler at the Jotun plant in Sandefjord is on fire and there is currently no control of the fire. The police have established a safety distance of 500 meters.
The case is being updated.
The cookery at Jotun factories in Sandefjord is on fire. Pictures from the site show thick, black smoke rising from the factory.
This is what we know now:
- The police has evacuated all employees and it must be control of all. It reports the Southeast Police District on Twitter at 15.44
- So far no one was able to send in the perfect solution, which is not strange messages about someone injured in connection with the fire
- Police write that the fire not is under controlat 15.44
- The fire service has informed VG that there will be talk of one heavy fire in the cookery at the factory
- The police have set one safety distance of 500 meters due to toxic smoke, and it is reported danger of spreading to neighboring buildings
- It is recommended that everyone living within a radius of 2 km stays indoors and closes doors and windows
- The extent of the fire is currently unknown, and the fire service is working to uncover what kind of substances are inside the building
1 out of 5Photo: Geir Eriksen, Gfoto
Ask everyone in the area to stay inside
The Southeast Police District writes on Twitter that they recommend that everyone who lives within a radius of two kilometers from the area stays indoors and closes doors and windows.
The municipality has sent out a population warning by SMS to residents south of Jotun, in the direction the smoke is moving. Everyone is told to close windows, doors and ventilation hatches, as well as close ventilation systems.
Those who are to evacuate have been offered to show up at the town hall, which is located in Sandefjordsveien 3. Here they will be received by the Red Cross.
Eyewitness: – Smoke spills out
VG has been in contact with Camilla Jakobsen, who is located in the center of Sandefjord. She discovered the smoke just after 3 p.m.
– We only see smoke coming out, and we hear the fire brigade. We are too far away to hear any other sounds, she says to VG.
Another VG tipper who witnessed the fire says that there are a lot of police and ambulances on site.