8 people were killed in a shooting attack in front of a Jewish synagogue in the “Nabi Jacob” settlement, north of Jerusalem, including the perpetrator, and at least 6 others were wounded, while the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, affiliated with the Palestinian National Liberation Movement, Fatah, claimed responsibility for the perpetrator of the Jerusalem attack.
Israeli government spokesman Ofir Gendelman said, “8 people were killed and others wounded, in an operation carried out by a Palestinian in the Nabi Yacoub settlement, north of Jerusalem.”
Gendelman indicated, through his official account on Twitter, that the police “killed the perpetrator and seized the gun.”
And the official “Kan” channel had said earlier that “17 people were wounded in the shooting, 5 of whom died, in addition to the perpetrator,” noting that “there are injured in a very serious condition.”
She pointed out that “the shooting took place in front of a synagogue in the Israeli settlement.”
The channel said, “The Israeli police are conducting an intensive search for other possible perpetrators involved in carrying out the shooting.”
“This is a serious and complex attack, and there are a large number of dead,” Israeli Police Commissioner Yaakov Shabtai said in a statement to Kan.
He continued, “We are currently conducting searches in the area for the possibility that there are more people involved in the attack who are roaming freely. The perpetrator was neutralized by a police officer and a volunteer in the Israeli police, and they prevented a larger attack.”
Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades
Later on Friday, the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, affiliated with the Palestinian National Liberation Movement, Fatah, claimed the perpetrator of the Jerusalem attack, saying that he was Khairi Alqam, 21 years old.
And she said on her Twitter account: “The Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades is mourning the martyrdom-indulgence, Khairy Alqam (21 years), from the Al-Tur neighborhood in occupied Jerusalem.”
It added that Alqam “raised after he shook the security of the alleged Bani Zion entity, and with his gun he killed more than seven dead and exposed the fragility of their security and military system.”
And she added, “The operation comes in the context of the natural response to the Zionist enemy’s crimes against our people, the latest of which was the Jenin camp crime (Thursday), and came to confirm the rightness of the armed resistance option.”
Immediately after the news of the attack, dozens of Palestinians went out in spontaneous marches that roamed the streets and roads of the governorates of the Gaza Strip, in celebration of it.
And Palestinian gunmen fired massively in the air, in addition to launching fireworks into the sky, while others distributed sweets and the takbeers were chanted in the mosques.
The attack on the “Nabi Jacob” settlement came a day after an operation carried out by the Israeli army in the Jenin camp in the northern West Bank, killing 10 Palestinians and injuring others, according to what the Palestinian Ministry of Health announced Thursday.
The “Nabi Jacob” settlement is located near the town of Beit Hanina, and is built on its lands, north of the city.
On Thursday, the Israeli army killed 10 Palestinians, 9 of them inside the Jenin camp, in an operation that, according to observers, is the largest of its kind since the Al-Aqsa Intifada in 2000.
The “Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades” was formed after the outbreak of the second Palestinian Intifada at the beginning of 2000, by leaders and activists in the “Fatah” movement, which is currently led by President Mahmoud Abbas.
In 2005, President Abbas announced the dissolution of the “Al-Aqsa Martyrs” and the start of opening a political track with Israel, but the Phalangists show up with their weapons on various occasions without being officially adopted by Fatah.