In Mariupol, there is virtually no drinking water, food, and habitable premises.
Blocked by the occupiers evacuation processes force Mariupol residents to return to the city.
“We are talking about an increase in the number of people in the city. First of all, this is due to the fact that the evacuation processes have actually been stopped, they are blocked by the Russian side in all forms … Therefore, people are forced to return to the city, because they have nowhere to live already … and due to this, even more tension in the humanitarian sphere and even more threats and new challenges,” Andryushchenko said.
He stressed that in Mariupol there is actually no water, food and habitable premises.
“We understand that in fact there is no … suitable housing for living. There are some apartments that are the least affected, in fact, almost without windows … There is no water, there is absolutely not enough drinking water, … tanks are placed, but the quality of the water that is delivered – very low, because it is taken from the very first historical well in Mariupol… More than 2 months of drinking this water is definitely not a plus for health. There is a catastrophic lack of food,” said the adviser to the mayor of Mariupol.
Andryushchenko stressed that even the data that the occupiers brag about, talking about the distribution of food packages to Mariupol residents, prove that there is a catastrophic lack of food in the city.
“They boast that in recent months they have brought 100,000 humanitarian food kits and distributed them to the people of Mariupol, and if there are 100-130 thousand people in the city in the previous month, we understand that this is one food kit per person per month!” , Andryushchenko emphasized.
He noted that it is hunger that makes people work for the occupiers for food.
Evacuation from Azovstal: what is known
- As UNIAN wrote, the defenders of Mariupol have repeatedly called on the authorities to apply the extraction procedure to them.
- In particular, the commander of the 36th Separate Naval Infantry Brigade of the Naval Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Serhiy Volyn called for the evacuation of Ukrainian servicemen from the plant “Azovstalin Mariupol.
- President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky emphasizedthat in order to save the Ukrainian military, who are defending themselves at the Azovstal plant in Mariupol, influential mediators and states are involved.
- According to Zelensky, the Russian side does not agree to any of the proposed options for the evacuation of the Ukrainian military from “Azovstali” in Mariupol. And for the de-blockade of the city and the plant, in particular, by military means, there are still no necessary weapons.
- At the end of April, the Ukrainian side, together with the UN and the International Committee of the Red Cross, managed to organize the evacuation of civilians who were in bomb shelters on the territory of the plant.
- Vice Prime Minister-Minister for the Reintegration of the Temporarily Occupied Territories of Ukraine Irina Vereshchuk statedthat all women, children and elderly people were taken out of Azovstal. However, according to preliminary estimates, there are still remain civil.
- President Zelensky reported about work on the second stage of evacuation to save the doctors and the wounded. And in the National Guard announced on the preparation of the procedure for the extraction of the defenders of the city.
- On May 11, at a briefing, Brigadier General, Deputy Chief of the Main Operational Directorate of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Oleksiy Gromov noted that now the operation to release the Azovstal plant will require significant efforts and a large number of troops.
- In turn, Vereshchuk said that about a thousand more fighters could be on the territory of the plant, half of them seriously wounded.