Home » today » Sport » Dominant Genk takes an important step towards the top six against Standard, Club blows Leuven away after half-time and secures play-offs

Dominant Genk takes an important step towards the top six against Standard, Club blows Leuven away after half-time and secures play-offs

It was Genk that took center stage in the Cegeka Arena. That translated into a first threat after 7 minutes. Sor turned well around his axis, but could not frame his shot. Bodart saw his low slider go a long way.

A few minutes later Bodart had to come to his senses. After a clever move by Baah, the Ghanaian took a surprising swing, but Bodart went flat and pushed the ball into a corner.

A harbinger of what was to come, because the Standard goalkeeper had to keep his team straight several times in the first half after great chances from Tolu and El-Khannouss, among others. Double bad luck for Genk, because after half an hour of play, the golden boy Oyen dropped out with – in all likelihood – a serious knee injury.

Genk did not seem upset after the break and redemption came 5 minutes into the second half. Bodart first fell flat on a shot from El Khannouss, but El Hadj followed well and pushed the ball into the goal from close range. A deserved lead for the home team.

Poor second half

Anyone who thought this was the start of a second half full of chances was disappointed. Genk created a lot less than in the first act, a small Standard was unable to really threaten the home team.

Yet Yeboah gave Genk a few more scares. Fifteen minutes before the end he suddenly had a lot of space and his shot zoomed over. A first warning for Genk.

Because in the end the home team almost shot itself in the foot. McKenzie completely missed a long ball from Alzate. His back pass to Vandervoort was far too short and Yeboah was quick to respond, but the Genk goalkeeper kept his team straight with a fantastic reflex.

It was still trembling for an overall strong Genk, which scored a golden three-pointer and entered the top six again.

Club blows Leuven away after the break

In the first half, Club had a tough time against a fierce OHL, which created the biggest chances itself. Schrijvers and Maziz were not given opportunities within the frame, Club had to make do with two attempts by Zinckernagel on Leysen.

On the half hour the worst possible scenario for blue-black, as Pletinckx was barely hindered on the half hour and headed a corner kick hard past a bewildered Jackers. Cynical clapping from the home fans was the symbol for Club’s miserable first half hour.

But luckily Leysen helped out. A Meijer cross seemed harmless, until Leysen simply pushed the ball into his own goal without any pressure. Club was able to enter the changing rooms with renewed courage.

The people of Bruges continued their momentum after the break and pushed the people of Leuven to the canvas in 3 minutes.

First Vanaken scored well from a free kick, two minutes later the lights went out again for Leysen. He grabbed a corner kick and saw Meijer gratefully accept the gift. 3-1 and booking.

Those two quick goals conceded had cut off the Leuven team, and it was Club that went in search of a fourth goal. Jutgla saw his goal disallowed for just offside.

We didn’t see much football anymore and Club controlled the match until the final whistle. Blauw-zwart thus secures itself for the Champions’ Play-offs, although Ronny Deila’s skin is certainly not saved. Headaches for Oud-Heverlee Leuven, which is preparing for a final round with relegation football.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.