Harianjogja.com, JOGJA-During the distortion or deformation of Mount Merapi, the Governor of Yogyakarta, Sri Sultan HB X, asked the people not to worry. The regency government (Pemkab) of Sleman is asked to ensure that no evacuation routes are damaged.
He said the status of Mount Merapi had not increased and was still the same as some time before, which was alert. “Even though there is activity to issue magma, the distance is limited and remains at the top,” he said, Thursday (07/09/2020).
Therefore he appealed to the community around Merapi not to worry but remain vigilant. According to him, the period of activity of Mount Merapi is different now than before. If the activity used to occur in the past four years, now it is longer, that is, eight years.
Residents of the slopes of Merapi said he already knew the signs that Merapi would erupt. Although it is said to be a danger, residents will not evacuate if there have not been mountain animals to escape to save themselves. “They also do not store valuables in the cupboard, but they have been prepared, ditaleni. If there is a disaster, that’s all that is brought, “he said.
Nevertheless he still supports the use of technology in detecting the activity of Mount Merapi. The Center for Investigation and Development of Geological Disaster Technology (BPPTKG), he said, will install this detector to replace the equipment that was previously damaged.
He hopes this technology can better warn the public when disaster strikes. But he also asked the public to participate in guarding the detection devices, not to be stolen as happened in the earthquake detection equipment owned by the Climatology and Geophysics Meteorology Agency (BMKG) last year.
Regarding the evacuation route, he asked to be reassured so that nothing would be damaged. “Under conditions of alert there must be no damage. Just truck if parking must face south. The road must be good so that it can pass vehicles at a speed of 80 Km per hour, “he said.