Skip to main content
World Today News
  • Home
  • News
  • World
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Health
  • Technology
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • World
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Health
  • Technology

Sepp Blatter Calls for FIFA World Cup Boycott Over Trump Policies | Football News

February 9, 2026 Lucas Fernandez – World Editor World

Former FIFA chief Sepp Blatter has backed a proposed fan boycott of World Cup 2026 matches in the United States, citing the conduct of President Donald⁣ Trump and his administration both domestically⁣ and internationally.

Blatter is the latest international football figure to question the suitability of the US as a host country,calling⁢ for a boycott‍ in a post ⁣on X ⁤on Monday.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 items
end of list

The US is co-hosting the World ⁤Cup with Canada and Mexico from June 11⁢ to july 19.

Blatter supported the comments of Mark Pieth, a Swiss⁣ lawyer specializing in white-collar ⁢crime and an anticorruption expert, who called on football fans to stay away from the ⁣US.

“If we consider everything we’ve⁢ discussed, there’s only one piece of advice for fans: Stay away from the USA!” Pieth, who also chaired the Independent Governance Committee’s oversight of FIFA reform a decade ago, said in an interview last week with the Swiss newspaper Der Bund.

“You’ll see it better on TV anyway,” ⁤pieth said, adding, “And upon arrival, fans should expect that if they don’t please the officials, they’ll be put ⁤straight on the next flight home. If they’re lucky.”

In his X post,‍ Blatter, quoting Pieth, added, “I think Mark Pieth is right to question this World Cup.”

The 89-year-old was ⁢president of the‍ football governing body from 1998 to 2015, when he resigned following a corruption investigation.

Concerns within⁣ the international football community about the US ⁣stem from Trump’s‍ expansionist posture on Greenland, travel bans, and aggressive tactics in dealing ⁢with migrants and immigration enforcement protesters in US cities, particularly Minneapolis.

Two weeks ago, travel plans for fans from two of the top football countries in ⁤Africa were disrupted when the Trump administration announced a ban that would effectively bar people from Senegal and the Ivory Coast from following ⁤their teams unless they already have visas. Trump cited “screening and vetting deficiencies” as the main reason for the suspensions.

Fans from Iran and Haiti,two other countries that ⁤have qualified for the World Cup,will also be barred⁣ from entering the US,as they were included in the first iteration of the travel ban announced by the Trump administration.

Former FIFA boss ‍Sepp⁣ Blatter has backed boycott calls, urging fans to avoid the US during the 2026 World Cup[File

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Related reading

  • US-Canada Trade War Erupts After Talks Collapse as Trump Imposes 50% Tariffs
  • Body of Man Found in Gátova Amid Sierra Calderona Wildfire Evacuation
  • Democrats Prepare for Potential Trump Administration Election Interference (archyde.com)

Related

donald trump, Europe, football, News, sport, Switzerland, United States, US & Canada, World Cup 2026

Search:

World Today News

World Today News is your trusted source for global journalism — breaking headlines, in-depth analysis, and reporting from around the world.

Quick Links

  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Accessibility statement
  • California Privacy Notice (CCPA/CPRA)
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • DMCA Policy
  • Do not sell my info
  • EDITORIAL TEAM
  • Terms & Conditions

Browse by Location

  • GB
  • NZ
  • US

Connect With Us

© 2026 World Today News. All rights reserved. Your trusted global news source directory.
For contact, advertising, copyright, issues email: [email protected]

Privacy Policy Terms of Service