Kushner Says US Will Not Restrict Israels Right to Defend Itself in Gaza
Trump’s son-in-law and envoy, Jared Kushner, said the United States will not ‘restrict Israel’s right to defend itself’ as strikes on Gaza continue.
The Diplomatic Pivot: Kushner’s 15-Point Peace Plan
The current diplomatic effort centers on a 15-point peace plan drafted by the Trump-chaired Board of Peace. The proposal outlines a framework for a phased Israeli troop withdrawal from Gaza, contingent upon the transfer of regional governance to a technocratic civilian administration. According to the Board of Peace, the objective is to secure the demilitarization of the territory, including the removal of all light and heavy weaponry and the destruction of tunnel networks. Kushner noted in an interview with Fox News’ Trey Yingst that while Hamas provided verbal assurances during their Sunday meeting, the administration remains focused on verifiable actions rather than rhetoric.
Establishing Security and Public Health Working Groups
To move beyond the initial deadlock, the Israeli Prime Minister’s office and the Board of Peace have agreed to form two joint working groups. The first group will focus exclusively on the mechanics of disarmament and demilitarization. The second will address critical humanitarian infrastructure, specifically sanitation, clean water, and public health. Per an official statement from the Board of Peace, these groups are intended to function as an immediate bridge to stability, ensuring that basic needs are met while security protocols are enforced.
The decision to formalize these working groups follows Israel’s initial rejection of the 15-point plan last week. Netanyahu’s administration has maintained that any military redeployment is contingent on the total disarmament of Hamas.
The 30-Day Benchmark for Progress
Kushner expressed optimism regarding the timeline, suggesting that tangible progress on weapons removal and tunnel neutralization could manifest within 30 to 90 days. Despite this outlook, skepticism remains among Israeli officials regarding Hamas’s willingness to surrender its military capabilities. The Board of Peace has confirmed that Israel will retain its full right to self-defense throughout this process, meaning the U.S. will not restrict Israeli operations if Hamas attempts to rearm or violates the terms of the disarmament agreement.

Navigating the Path Forward
The success of the U.S.-led initiative depends on the cooperation of all stakeholders, including regional powers like Turkey and Qatar, whose involvement in verification processes remains a point of contention. As Kushner continues to shuttle between regional leaders, the focus remains on the “win-win” scenario described by the envoy: a rebuilt Gaza devoid of military threats to Israel. Whether this framework can overcome the deep-seated mistrust between the parties remains the primary variable in an increasingly complex geopolitical landscape.
