NEW YORK – The presence of carbon monoxide in the middle of the night forced the evacuation of a Long Island campground in the early hours of early Tuesday, according to authorities.
Great Neck Fire officials said they responded to the camp on East Shore Road around 4:40 a.m. to receive a report of high carbon monoxide readings.
Rescuers found 15 girls in the building. Three were taken to North Shore Hospital as a precaution; its terms were not immediately clear.
Authorities said the home’s heating system had failed and allowed carbon monoxide to build up.