Recently, the Republicans took control of the House of Representatives, which is one of the two chambers of Congress.
In his speech on the state of the nation on the night of Wednesday Norwegian time, the president called for more cooperation to rebuild the economy.
– The people sent us a clear message. Fighting for the sake of fighting, power for power’s sake, conflict for conflict’s sake, gets us nowhere, Biden said.
– And that has always been my vision for the country: To restore the soul of the nation, to rebuild the backbone of America – the middle class – to unite the country.
He also spoke about the importance of strengthening the finances of American households, at a time of soaring inflation and rising interest rates.
– We must do more. But inflation is falling and people are getting more money in their paychecks, the president said.
He also took time to brag about the policies he has pursued.
– We have created 12 million jobs in two years. That’s more than any president has created in 4 years, Biden said.
The president also boasted about the infrastructure package he got passed before the Republicans took over the majority in the House of Representatives.
– The United States is number 13 in the world in terms of infrastructure, Biden shouted.
Freer to the left
It was expected in advance that the president would try to woo the left wing of the Democratic Party. The radical left wing in the party roughly doubled in size after the mid-term elections in November.
It also linked tension to whether Biden will use the speech to announce that he is standing as a presidential candidate in the 2024 election.
I a recent opinion poll unreported for the Washington Post and ABC News, 58 percent of the Democrats polled say they want a different presidential candidate than Biden next year.
They say this despite the fact that 78 percent of Democrats in the same survey think the president is doing a good job.
A fairly large majority of Democrats therefore want to replace Joe Biden at the election in 2024.
Nevertheless, it is expected that the President of the United States will soon officially announce that he is seeking re-election.
Rock star on the guest list
The State of the Union address is a live piece of political theater every year. And perhaps more than ever this year.
All the politicians in the House of Representatives and the Senate gather in the congress hall, in addition to Supreme Court judges, members of the government and invited guests.
The guest list this year includes rock star Bono. Afghanistan’s former ambassador to the United States, Roya Rahmani, as well as the family of Tire Nichols. The African-American 29-year-old who was brutally beaten up and killed by several police officers in Memphis in January.