The Sussexes would have started negotiations with the American streaming platform Quibi, and this, a year before the announcement of “Megxit”, unveiled the Telegraph, Saturday April 3. Revelations that undermine the version of the couple, according to which he would have “nothing planned” before leaving for America.
“The contracts negotiated with Netflix and Spotify … were not part of our plans,” Prince Harry told Oprah Winfrey. We hadn’t planned anything (before the “Megxit”, Editor’s note). ” A version since contradicted by the revelations of the Telegraph. The British daily explained, in an article published on Saturday, April 3, that the Sussexes would have started negotiations with an American streaming platform, a year before their departure from the monarchy. An agreement that was to amount to several billion dollars. “Harry and Meghan set up a series of meetings with Quibi, rival now disappeared from Youtube, from the beginning of 2019 to the explosive announcement of “Megxit” in January of last year “, thus relates the Telegraph. The Sussexes were planning to make their own series of videos, each lasting ten minutes, for the video platform.
In video, chronology of the “Megxit” in eleven dates
Tensions with Buckingham Palace
These negotiations have reportedly caused tensions between the couple and officials at Buckingham Palace. Palace employees particularly feared that the Sussexes would be accused of “profiting” from their princely status. To which the duo would have retorted: “You cannot prevent us from doing what we want.” A project for which Prince Harry and Meghan Markle would have, moreover, consulted mainly their American advisers. Among them, their lawyer Rick Genow, the commercial director Andrew Meyer, or the celebrity agent Nick Collins. “There were very advanced negotiations with Quibi from the start of 2019,” said an anonymous source in the columns of the Telegraph. Much of it was orchestrated by Meghan’s teams in America. ”
The parents of little Archie would have, in parallel, exchanged several times with Jeffrey Katzenberg, the founder of Quibi, and Meg Whitman, the general manager of the company. In January 2020, Prince Harry reportedly even met the enforcement officials in London. The project, undermined by the coronavirus pandemic, then by the bad figures of Quibi, on the verge of bankruptcy in September 2020, would never see the light of day. At the same time, the New York Times revealed that the Sussexes had signed a multi-year contract with Netflix. A deal that could earn them up to $ 99 million. Three months later, the duo also signed a deal with Spotify. The Duke of Sussex has since announced that he has accepted a leadership position at start-up BetterUp, offering services in the field of mental health.
The editorial team advises you