For the third time in just over a month, the Pentagon has sent two B-52 Stratofortress long-range heavy bombers to the Persian Gulf as a war threat against Iran. On the orders of US President Donald Trump, these threats are continuously tightened. Even at the end of his term in office, the still-president could still try to undermine the results of the November election.
The bombers, which can be armed with nuclear or conventional weapons, had set off from their bases in North Dakota on a 30-hour scenic flight. After air-refueling in the eastern Mediterranean, they flew low over the Persian Gulf in a squadron of F-16 fighter jets.
Without specifically naming Iran, the commander of the US Central Command (CENTCOM), which is responsible for the operations of the US military in the Middle East, left no doubt as to who the provocative use of the bombers was directed against.
Announcing the overflight over the Gulf, CENTCOM Commander General McKenzie stated, “The US continues to deploy combat-ready troops within the area of responsibility of US Central Command to deter any potential adversary and to make it clear that we are ready and able to act to react to any aggression against Americans or our interests (…) We do not seek conflict, but nobody should underestimate our ability to protect our armed forces or to react decisively to any attack. “
The missions of the B-52 bombers are only part of the threatening and ever-growing US military presence in the region. Last week the Navy sent the nuclear submarine USS Georgia, armed with cruise missiles and escorted by warships, to reinforce the aircraft carrier combat group stationed there around the USS Nimitz in the Persian Gulf.
The media in Israel and other Middle Eastern countries have also revealed that Israel has deployed its own submarine through the Suez Canal, apparently towards the Persian Gulf. The Dolphin-class submarine can fire nuclear missiles.
Israel, meanwhile, continues its air strikes against Iran-related targets in Syria. The Nabi Habil area near Damascus was bombed on Wednesday.
Washington and Tel Aviv have tried to portray these extraordinary threats against Iran as defensive measures against the alleged threat of an Iranian attack.
A “senior US military officer”, who refused to be named, told the Associated Press that the Pentagon had “discovered evidence” that Iran was “possibly launching rocket attacks on US forces in connection with the anniversary of the criminal assassination of Qassem Suleimani. Planning interests in Iraq ”. Senior Iranian military leader Suleimani was murdered by a US drone strike on January 3, 2020, shortly after arriving at Baghdad International Airport on a state visit.
The “senior officer” said Iran “may consider” broader attacks on US targets in the Middle East, where some 50,000 US soldiers are stationed, “perhaps on economic targets.” He was referring to the attack on the Saudi oil processing plants in September 2019, for which Houthi rebels from Yemen took responsibility at the time.
The officer’s choice of words, “maybe … could … possibly …”, makes it clear that there is no significant evidence that Tehran is planning any attack. However, the US could use any provocation in the region as a pretext for a war of aggression against Iran.
Earlier on December 23, Trump on Twitter, without presenting any evidence, blamed Iran for the rocket fire at the huge US embassy complex in Baghdad’s Green Zone. The bombardment had resulted in neither injuries nor significant damage.
“Now we’re already hearing talk of further attacks on Americans in Iraq,” he tweeted. “A friendly health tip to Iran: If an American is killed, I will hold Iran accountable. Think about it.”
The US continues to portray Iran as the aggressor, despite the fact that it was they who murdered Suleimani, and they undoubtedly supported Israel in the murder of Iran’s leading nuclear scientist Mohsen Fachrisadeh. In addition, the “maximum pressure” campaign, using draconian sanctions, has claimed thousands of lives among the Iranian people as the country has been encircled by US military bases, bombers and warships.
Last month, during a meeting with his security cabinet in the White House, Trump made clear his intention to attack Iran. He considered the possibility of bombing the main Iranian nuclear facility at Natanz. That would be a war crime of the first order, in which thousands could be killed and thousands more irradiated. High-ranking advisers are said to have advised Trump against such an attack, but the military escalation against Iran continues unabated.
Since then, the White House has sacked Acting Secretary of Defense Mark Esper and replaced him with former Special Forces Colonel Christopher Miller. As part of a comprehensive purge of the top civilian leadership of the Pentagon, key positions have been filled with fanatical anti-Iranian Trump supporters.
Last week, various media around the Pentagon reported growing concerns within the military that Trump could start a war against Iran as part of his attempts to stay in office and establish a presidential dictatorship.
The columnist David Ignatius of the Washington Post, who has close ties with the US military and intelligence apparatus, warned of “potential internal and external unrest that could provide President Trump with an excuse to remain in power” in the face of threats against Iran.
CNN cited interviews with a dozen US military commanders and senior officials who reported “growing concern” in these circles over the possibility of Trump “ordering an unexpected US military action, such as attacking or attacking Iran (…) could somehow involve the military in its attempts to reverse the election result ”.
There is a deadly serious danger that Trump could start a war of aggression against Iran in the final phase of his presumed presidency. Such a war, as well as the possibility of significant deaths among US forces in the region, could provide him with an excuse to enforce martial law and suspend both the transfer of power and all constitutional rights. He had already discussed such a perspective on December 18 at a meeting in the White House.
Despite these threats, future President Joe Biden and the Democrats do not show that they would oppose such war preparations against Iran. Even less are they trying to warn the American people about the White House and Pentagon plans.
Biden diligently ignores both Trump’s refusal to admit defeat and his threats to take unconstitutional action. Biden has only made a strong objection that the Pentagon is putting obstacles in the way of its transition team. However, these objections were not justified by the fact that the fascist cabal installed by Trump was setting up a conspiracy to plunge the American people into another catastrophic war and lay the foundations for a dictatorship. On the contrary: Biden said on Monday that he was trying not to leave a gap in the militaristic policies of the two governments, as “our opponents could otherwise take advantage of this”.