The first step of hope to get out of the Covid-19 nightmare physically took place at 9:30 on Christmas day. A step taken on four wheels, that of the van with the 9,750 doses of Pfizer-Biontech’s anti-Covid vaccine destined for Italy. According to what is learned from Ansa, the vehicle coming from Belgium has crossed the Brenner border and, escorted by the carabinieri, is heading to the Spallanzani hospital in Rome. On Saturday, according to the program, the doses will be divided region by region and Sunday 27 will be the day of V-Day. Also in Treviso there will be the first vaccinations for health workers as 875 doses will be destined for Veneto.
ANTI-COVID19 VACCINATION PLAN IN VENETO
The first available vaccine will be Pfizer / BioNTech. The “starting day” of the single vaccination campaign at European level, 27 December 2020, will see an initial quantity of 875 doses administered.
Who coordinates the vaccination activities?
The coordination of vaccination activities in each reference territory and in the identified Vaccination Points (programming, active call, distribution, administration, monitoring and tracing, staff training) is entrusted to the Hygiene and Public Health Services of the Prevention Departments, which present internally the skills, experience and professionalism to carry out this activity:
- Referral doctors specializing in Hygiene and Public Health to provide advice on elements of a technical-scientific nature, in compliance with good vaccination practice.
- Health Assistants / Nurses of reference to provide advice on the organization of sessions, set-up and logistics (storage of vaccines, batch control, medical devices for emergency, disposal of medical waste).
Particular attention will be paid to the training of personnel involved in vaccination activities, in compliance with all the scientific evidence available from time to time, in close collaboration with national and international organizations.
Who will be offered the vaccination?
The launch of the campaign will involve in this first phase:
- hospital and territorial staff of the Regional Health and Social-Health Service
- Guests and operators of the territorial social and health structures.
In the Veneto Region, the first phase of immunization will be aimed at a population of 184,893 subjects, of which:
- 91.035: Healthcare personnel of companies and organizations of the SSR and private structures
- 93,858: Staff and guests of local social and health structures.
Subsequently, the vaccination will be extended to the general population, according to population and specific risk criteria, as well as to specific categories identified, including essential service workers and subjects at risk, including population groups capable of sustaining the transmission of the infection in the community.
How will the vaccination campaign take place?
The convocation of the population (active call) is foreseen by invitation, accompanied by informative material, by the Hygiene and Public Health Service of the Department of Prevention of territorial reference, with indication of the appointment at the vaccination center identified. The launch of the vaccination campaign also includes:
- monitoring of adhesion rates and coverage estimates (registration of vaccination or any dissent to it)
- pharmacovigilance activities and surveillance of any adverse reactions
- Monitoring and evaluation of the medium and long-term persistence of antibodies.
How will the first phase of the campaign take place?
- Hospital and territorial operators of the Regional Public and Private Health Service: each Health Authority will activate the Hospital and Territorial Vaccination Points.
- Operators and guests of the territorial social and health structures: For residential structures, the vaccination activity will be guaranteed on site by the operators of the structure itself, supported by personnel belonging to the reference ULSS company: for all non-residential structures (e.g. centers day care centers, relief centers for the elderly, the disabled, mental health, addictions, etc.) ad hoc organizational methods will be identified.
How will the second phase of the campaign take place?
General population: Local health authorities will activate Population Vaccination Centers (CVP) on the territory, ie vaccination points within which vaccination will be offered to the general population. These centers will also be able to carry out vaccination in “drive-through” mode. The population will be convened by the Hygiene and Public Health Service of the territorially competent Prevention Department, which will provide indications on how and when to access the vaccination points. The aspects relating to logistics and the procurement, storage and transport process provide for different levels of coordination:
- national coordination: Ministry of Health, Emergency Commissioner
- regional coordination: Region
- Local coordination: Local health authorities.
How will the vaccines be distributed?
Based on the different characteristics of the vaccines under development, the distribution and storage process currently includes two organizational models: the freeze model (for the storage of mRNA vaccines) and the cold model (standard cold chain). In the Veneto Region, in order to ensure the functioning of distribution according to both organizational models, 7 local HUBs (1 for each province), identified in hospital pharmacies, have been prepared and equipped with suitable storage devices. Each local HUB will form the basis for distribution to the administration points, in an action coordinated by the Hygiene and Public Health Services of the Prevention Department of the ULSS companies.
Where will the vaccinations take place?
- Hospital and local operators: Each Health Authority will activate the Hospital and Territorial Vaccination Points, with the coordination of the Hygiene and Public Health Service of the territorially competent Prevention Department
- Operators and guests of local social and health facilities. The vaccination activity for residential structures will be guaranteed at the structure itself by personnel of the social-assistance residential structures, supported by personnel belonging to the reference ULSS Companies, under the coordination of the Hygiene and Public Health Service
- For all non-residential structures (e.g. day centers, relief centers for the elderly, the disabled, mental health, addictions, retirement homes for self-sufficient people, minor educational communities) will be identified, by the ULSS companies, ad hoc organizational methods
- General population. Population Vaccination Centers (one CVP every 20,000-100,000): structures (e.g. sports halls, gyms, auditoriums, schools, etc.) within which it is possible to organize the rapid and safe vaccination of a large number of people .
How will the vaccination take place?
In a CVP the presence of:
- a Medical Specialist in Hygiene and Public Health expert in vaccinations, responsible for the center
- an expert health assistant vaccinator, who carries out organizational and coordination functions of the vaccination staff;
- vaccinating health workers who, under the coordination of a responsible vaccinator, guarantee the collection of the pre-vaccination history, the preparation (reconstitution) of the doses, the administration of the vaccine and the recording of data in the regional applications, the information on the management of any side effects
- Any support staff (civil protection and / or army volunteers) for the external management of large flows of people and cars, triage at the gate, internal flow, first post-vaccination surveillance, first aid).
Two shifts of 6 hours of vaccination activity + 2 hours dedicated to preparing and closing the session (14 hours of total work).
- external area: parking area and external waiting area
- area interna:
- Station 1: triage and check-in
- Stations 2 and 3: (2) prevaccination history and (3) vaccination administration
- Station 4: post-vaccination monitoring
The “COVID-19 Buffers” and the “COVID-19 Drive-through Buffers”, together with the Population Vaccination Center, can be re-converted, even for fractions of time of the day, into points for vaccination.
Communication and information
An information and communication campaign will be organized for the population, with the aim of supporting personal motivation for vaccination choice, differentiated by target (health worker, staff of public utility services, elderly people, care givers, etc.). The widespread dissemination among healthcare personnel of the information available on the vaccine and on the scientific evidence currently available, both for greater awareness of the staff themselves and in consideration of the important role played towards the population as a reference for the authoritativeness of scientific information .