What would you do if your smartphone was damaged the same day you scheduled an important video call? If you don’t have WhatsApp on your Fire tablet, you probably won’t be able to make the call. You might be missing out on a great career opportunity. Or maybe you’ll disappoint a loved one who’s been looking forward to a video chat with you.
Avoid missing calls, messages or meetings when your phone isn’t working. Learn how to install and use WhatsApp on your Fire tablet.
How to Install WhatsApp on a Fire Tablet
Although not as common as smartphone installs, WhatsApp can be installed on even older Amazon Fire tablets. This is because Fire OS base is Android 2.3 (and later), WhatsApp will work with Android 2.3.3 and later. Thus, the application is compatible with virtually all versions of Fire OS, including:
- Incendie HDX
- Amazon Fire HD
- Kindle Fire 7-10
Fire tablets aren’t the easiest devices to install third-party apps on, as they’re blocked by default. The block is put in place by the builder to serve as protection. As you can guess, Whatsapp will only install after unlocking this default protection.
Follow these steps to allow “Unknown Sources” installs on your Fire tablet:
- Tap “Settings” on the home screen.
- Scroll down and tap “Security & Privacy”.
- Toggle the “Apps from unknown sources” switch.
- Press OK if a security warning dialog box appears.
To perform this task on Fire OS 4.0 (2012 or earlier), follow these steps:
- Go to settings. »
- Tap “Device”.
- Choose “Allow application installation”.
Once you’re done, your Fire tablet is ready for WhatsApp or other third-party app installations. Download the latest version of WhatsApp directly from their website. Here’s how:
- Press the “Download Now” button on the Whatsapp site Internet.
- Wait a few seconds for the download to complete.
- Open and install the file.
You may need to install WhatsApp a second time if a confirmation window appears asking you to confirm. Once the download is complete, complete the installation by following these steps:
- Launch WhatsApp.
- Tap “Continue” in the pop-up window to confirm.
- Tap “Allow” to grant access to your device.
- Type your phone number.
- Press “OK” to confirm.
- Enter the verification code that will be sent to you by SMS.
- Select “Next”.
Write down this important information about your phone number:
- You need to get phone number verification to install the app.
- WhatsApp will only allow one device at a time to use the same phone number.
- WhatsApp on your mobile phone will deactivate if you use the same phone number as the Fire tablet.
- You can re-enable WhatsApp between your phone and tablet if needed.
Several users found it too inconvenient to share one number with two devices. Some of them managed to work around this issue, while others were unable to get the steps to work consistently. Here are the workarounds if you want to try them:
WhatsApp will also request access to your files, photos, media, and contacts during the setup process. If you deny access during installation, you can change the setting later. However, you need to allow WhatsApp to access your contacts to chat with other people.
How to Use WhatsApp on Fire Tablet?
Once WhatsApp is installed, you can immediately connect with your contacts who use the app. Follow these steps to identify which of your contacts are using WhatsApp:
- Open WhatsApp.
- Go to the “Chats” tab.
- Tap the “New chat” icon.
The app will create a new chat with a person you choose from your address book. If you don’t see the contact, they are not currently using WhatsApp. Another possible reason is that they have a foreign phone number. If so, enter the full international format of foreign numbers in your address book, so that they appear in your chat list.
If you have contacts who are not currently using WhatsApp, the app can send them invitations. Here’s how to invite your contacts to join you:
- Open the menu by selecting the green circle at the bottom right of the Chats window.
- Choose “Invite Friends”.
- Browse your contacts.
- Tap the contact you want to send an invitation to.
You can connect with new people you meet on WhatsApp anytime. To add a new person to your contacts:
- Select “New contact” in the green circle at the top of the contact list.
- Type contact information in the window that appears.
- Save contact.
If the new contact is already on WhatsApp, their information will be populated if you start a new conversation with them.
Statute of WhatsApp
“Status” is a feature in Contacts for sharing text and video updates with people in your address book. Updates are end-to-end encrypted and disappear after 24 hours. You and the contact must have each other’s phone numbers to use this feature.
WhatsApp video chat
One of the most popular ways to communicate with contacts is through video chat. Use WhatsApp on a Fire tablet to start a video chat by following these steps:
- Select a contact from your address book.
- Open “Chat”.
- Tap the video camera icon.
- Tap the “+” to add other users from your address book.
WhatsApp Security and Safety
You can communicate with contacts from anywhere in the world. However, you need to know how to use WhatsApp on your tablet safely. WhatsApp has built-in security features. The app suggests that you also practice proactive security measures, which include:
- Adjust your privacy settings to control who sees your information. Here are the steps:
- Go to the action bar and press “More options” (3 vertical lines).
- Select “Settings”.
- Tap “Account”.
- Go to “Privacy” to change who can see your status updates and other privacy options.
- Go to the action bar and press “More options” (3 vertical lines).
- Use group controls that only allow the admin to send group messages.
- Only communicate with contacts you know.
- Reconsider forwarding messages to avoid spreading misinformation.
- Block senders who send problematic content.
WhatsApp encourages users to report inappropriate messages, photos or videos. Only send media to people you know, as others may record your messages. You can also report activities such as cyberbullying to WhatsApp Support. Visit the WhatsApp website for complete information on their security and privacy practices.
Stay in touch without excuses
If you have a cell phone accident, WhatsApp is an alternative connectivity tool. Download WhatsApp on your Fire tablet to enjoy all its benefits when you can’t travel. You can also view photos and videos more easily than your mobile phone and have a private one-to-one conversation or a virtual meeting. WhatsApp puts your friends, relatives and colleagues at your fingertips, whether near or far.
If you use WhatsApp, you already know that it is full of great features and options. Tell us which features you use most often. Do you use the app for work or play? Leave your answers in the comment box below.