Mayor Saxe Frøshaug (Sp) in Indre Østfold municipality even on Sunday characterized the new corona measures that the strictest a Norwegian municipality has introduced.
The next day, the mayor is just as sure of the next tightening in the neighborhood of the new large municipality.
– The border with Sweden will be closed again immediately. Anything other than the closure of Värmland will be sensational, says mayor Frøshaug to Dagbladet on Monday night.
It was on Saturday 25 July that the Norwegian authorities lifted the corona restrictions on the “semi-Norwegian” Sweden county of Värmland, including the border trading posts Töcksfors and Charlottenberg.
Car traffic from Norway quadrupled overnight.
– Now the infection rates for Värmland are up to the red level again. In addition to large Norwegian holiday traffic and shopping trips, we must remember that many Swedes from red infection zones will also go to Värmland this summer. No, here it will be closed again, says the mayor for 45,000 inhabitants.
– When we on Sunday had still traced the infection to five areas, four of them could be linked to travel to Sweden.
It was from 1 January this year that the five former municipalities Askim, Trøgstad, Eidsberg, Spydeberg and Hobøl formally became Indre Østfold municipality with administration in Askim.
After 70 cases of infection per. Monday in a short time, the new large municipality’s crisis management has, among other things, closed kindergartens and SFO until the planned start of school next Monday.
Residents are strongly encouraged to stay away from neighbors and only hang out with people under the same family roof this week. At the same time, the municipality has canceled all events, has introduced a home office for the vast majority in its own administration and encourages working life in general to do the same.
And everyone who crosses the border into Sweden, whether it is a job or a leisure trip, is placed under a 14-day corona quarantine.
All pubs and restaurants in Indre Østfold are closed until further notice. A few days ago, the infection was located around a group of friends visiting last Friday and Saturday at three restaurants in Askim.
Now the mayor and the rest of the municipality are excited about the development towards the planned start of school next Monday.
Can not impose
Mayor Saxe Frøshaug emphasizes that the municipality can not impose a home office.
– We can only encourage everyone to exercise caution and responsibility in this situation.
He does not have an overview on the firing how many people commute daily out of the municipality – by public transport or own car.
– There are some in Hobøl and Spydeberg who work in Oslo and the surrounding areas. We can do nothing but encourage them and employers outside our own municipality to great caution, says mayor Saxe Frøshaug in Indre Østfold municipality.
While waiting for an old barrier against the risk of infection from the neighboring country in the east.
Want to discuss?
Like Dagbladet on Facebook