MIUI 12 will reach most Xiaomi smartphones in the next few months. In the meantime, Xiaomi has released a developer version of the new interface for some devices. So we took a look at MIUI 12 and show you the new features.
New features from MIUI 12
Dark Mode 2.0
Xiaomi speaks of a Dark Mode 2.0, which should now bring an even better white-on-black experience. Two new features stand out here. On the one hand, there is now the possibility to adapt wallpapers dynamically. Depending on the time of day or the lighting situation, the background of the home screen is bathed in a darker or brighter light. The other new function is the automatic contrast regulation. This makes darkmode quasi intelligent. Instead of simply swapping white and black, the display is adapted to the ambient light. In the evening hours, for example, the white of the writing should be darkened somewhat to protect the eyes.
Extended Always On Display
The Always On Display has been polished up – again. In MIUI 10, the presentation was still limited to the essentials. In MIUI 11 there were new styles to choose from. In MIUI 12, the selection has now been expanded even more and there are even more styles that can be downloaded from the theme store. Only Samsung can actually keep up with the current configuration options.
New quick toggles
The quick start icons have been revised. What looks a little bulky at first glance should help with operation. Larger icons should make it easier to set up the phone in a few simple steps.
More system animations
The display of individual system settings and the in-house apps has been refreshed with new animations. In many places you now get a dynamic display where previously there was only a static image. This makes a much more modern impression when used and enhances the user experience.
The list of new features in MIUI 12 is quite long. What we have just presented is just the tip of the iceberg. In the following you will find a list with all innovations, if you want to know it exactly:
- System animations
- New: All-new physically based animation engine with advanced architecture will refresh your device’s look.
- New: Dynamic window technology takes switching screen orientation to a new level.
- System visuals
- Brand new visual design works for all types of content and languages.
- Magazine-level layouts bring important things into the spotlight and make content structure clear.
- Privacy protection
- New: MIUI 12 is the first Android-based mobile OS that went through the rigorous enhanced privacy protection testing.
- New: Reset your device ID and control how it’s used based on virtual ID technology.
- New: Grant permissions that will be used only while you’re using an app.
- New: You can also grant permissions just once, and decide again next time a permission is required.
- New: Restrict access to telephony to third party apps.
- New: Return blank messages to the apps that require personal information.
- New: Receive notifications whenever apps record audio, use camera, or access your location.
- New: Use secure sharing to control what additional data is sent along with shared items.
- New: Get comprehensive stats on how apps use permissions in app behavior history.
- New: Visit privacy.miui.com to learn how MIUI protects your privacy. Optimization: Apps aren’t allowed to launch other apps in the background now.
- AI Call Assistant
- New: Mi AI can answer your calls now!
- New: You can record a customized greeting that will be played to the other person during AI calls.
- New: Customized greetings are also supported for outgoing calls.
- Xiaomi Health
- New: All-new Xiaomi Health gives you more options and makes your health stats more accurate.
- New: Put your device next to you before falling asleep to analyze your sleep cycle and record talking and snoring.
- New: You can sync data with supported wearable and smart home devices.
- New: Xiaomi Health can remind you to stand up and move when it detects that you’ve been sitting down for too long.
- New: The app also analyzes your stats and gives you simple health advice.
- Control center
- New: Swipe down from the upper right corner of your screen to open Control center.
- New: Animated icons are a joy to look at!
- New: Mi Ditto combines dictation and speech output, making mobile devices more convenient for people who have difficulties using conventionally designed smartphones.
- New: Traffic and suggested routes to airports and train stations.
- New: You can track your previous trips now.
- New: Checklists for trips.
- New: Alarms for train arrivals.
- Mi carrier services
- New: View your SIM balance and mobile data usage stats.
- New: Save frequently used phone numbers to top up balance and buy mobile data later.
- New: Buy SIM cards and services.
- New: Promotional messages are grouped according to their content now.
- Status bar, notification shade
- New: New animations bring the weather from outside directly to your screen.
- New: Security introduces new comprehensive privacy protection mechanisms.
- New: Lite mode simplifies your device and brings essential features upfront.
- File Manager
- New: Use the floating shortcut to filter and sort items, as well as switch view.
- New: New layout tailored for landscape orientation is available now.
- New: We added lots of fresh animations that will accompany your actions.
- New: Calendar cards will remind you about important events and anniversaries.
- New: You can create folders with notes now.
- New: New dynamic backgrounds look gorgeous!
- New: Tasks are completed with a satisfying animation now.
- New: Checklists of subtasks make managing your agenda much simpler.
- New: New animations feel natural and refreshing.
- New: Keep your home safe with smart home device alerts.
- New: Binging your favorite shows will be more convenient with our new video toolbox.
- Xiaomi cloud
- New: Shared family storage plan is available now.
MIUI 12 update plan
Xiaomi has meanwhile published a first update plan for the Mi and Redmi smartphones. As always, Chinese Xiaomi smartphones will get the new software earlier and the global version will be delivered with a delay of 1-2 months. Even older devices will be supplied with certainty, but a little later than the following models:
First roll-out (June, 2020)
- Xiaomi Mi 10, Mi 10 Pro, Mi 10 Youth Edition
- Xiaomi Mi 9 Pro 5G, Mi 9 Transparent Edition, Mi 9
- Redmi K30 Pro Zoom, K30 Pro, K30 5G, K30
- Redmi K20 Pro Premium, K20 Pro, K20
Second roll-out (release so far unknown)
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 3, Mi Mix 2s
- Xiaomi Mi CC9 Pro (Xiaomi Mi Note 10), Mi CC9 (Xiaomi Mi 9 Lite), Mi CC9 Meitu Edition, Mi 9 SE
- Xiaomi Mi 8 UD, Mi 8 Transparent Edition, Mi 8
- Redmi Note 8 Pro, Redmi Note 7 Pro, Redmi Note 7
Third roll-out (release so far unknown)
- Xiaomi Mi CC9E
- Xiaomi Mi Note 3
- Xiaomi Mi Max 3
- XiaomiMi 8 Lite, Mi 8 SE
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2
- Xiaomi Mi 6X
- Redmi Note 8, Redmi 8, Redmi 8A
- Redmi 7, Redmi 7A
- Redmi 6 Pro, Redmi 6, Redmi 6A
- Redmi Note 5
- Redmi S2
MIUI 12 already available as Xiaomi.EU ROM
As always, Xiaomi already has the beta version of MIUI 12 available for some smartphones to download before the official release. However, the so-called Developer ROMs are only available as a China version and therefore lack the Play Store and the German language. However, you can install the Xiaomi.EU ROM, which is based on the Chinese Developer ROM, but comes with Playstore and multilingualism as well as other adaptations for Europe. We have also equipped our Xiaomi Mi 9 with MIUI 12. The following table shows a list of the MIUI 12 devices available on Xiaomi.EU. You will learn how to install the Xiaomi.EU ROM here.
The first impression of MIUI 12 makes you want more. We also note positively that the new interface is already available for a large number of older devices. We will definitely report on the new developments in the system.
What do you think of the new interface from Xiaomi? Successful new edition or not?
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest information on Chinese cell phones and gadgets straight to your inbox!