WHO: The coronavirus situation in the Western Balkans is serious

PHOTO: Pixabay

The situation with the coronavirus in the countries of the Western Balkans is serious, warned Catherine Smolud from the European Representation of the World Health Organization, Macedonian media reported. The fact that hospitals are being transformed into facilities for the treatment of patients with KOVID-19 means that other types of medical services have been disrupted and postponed, which shows that the system will remain busy in the future. This means that we must implement all measures, without delay, to reduce the spread of the infection, said Smolud, BTA reports.

The WHO is closely monitoring the mutations, she added. “Some vaccines may be less effective in mutations, but that doesn’t mean they don’t work,” Smallwood said.

The Government of the Republic of Northern Macedonia proposes to the Parliament to approve the extension of the crisis situation on the territory of the country until December 31, 2021, the newspaper “New Macedonia” reports.

Vaccination of citizens under the age of 75, who have registered on the specially designated site or through personal doctors, begins today, Sloboden Pechat reports. The vaccination of the citizens from the critical infrastructure was completed yesterday. So far, almost 30,000 citizens have been vaccinated.

The Minister of Health Venko Filipche announced that with a direct contract with the Pfizer company on April 19 and 26, 10,000 doses of vaccine should arrive. Information from the Russian embassy about additional quantities of the Sputnik V vaccine is also expected, and 76,000 doses of AstraZeneca should arrive by the end of the month. 200,000 doses of vaccine from China are also expected, the minister said.

These days there is a tendency to reduce the number of newly diagnosed cases of CoOVID-19. Their number is about 1000, which confirms that the epidemiological curve is consistently declining and this is good data, says Filipche. However, he noted that the pressure on hospitals is still high, as there are a large number of people diagnosed with KOVID-19.

The minister also said that if there is a need to continue the restrictive measures after April 20, it will depend on the indicators. The measures in force now include curfew from 8pm to 5am, all restaurants are closed, as well as restaurants and cafes in hotels and other accommodation.

.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.