WHO Says People Misunderstand Herd Immunity, This Is What It Should Be …

JENEWA, KOMPAS.com – Head of the World Health Organization ( WHO) on Monday (12/10/2020) warned that let Covid-19 spread out to reach herd immunity it is “unethical” and people misunderstand it.

Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said, in a virtual press conference, “ Herd immunity is a concept used for vaccination, in which a population can be protected from a particular virus if the vaccination threshold is reached. “

He gave an example, for example for measles, it is estimated that if 95 percent of the population is vaccinated, the remaining 5 percent will also be protected from the spread of the virus.

Also read: Strategy for Providing Covid-19 Vaccines in Indonesia, Target of 70 Percent to Herd Immunity

For polio, the threshold is estimated at 80 percent, according to Tedros.

Herd immunity achieved by protecting people from the virus, not by exposing them to the virus, “Tedros was quoted as saying AFP.

“There has never been a history of public health herd immunity used as a strategy to deal with the outbreak, let alone a pandemic, “he said.

Corona virus This new strain has killed more than 1 million people and infected more than 37.5 million people in the world, since it first emerged in China late last year.

Also read: Coordinating Minister for PMK Calls There is Herd Immunity After Vaccination, This is an explanation

Rely herd immunity naturally in such a situation it would be “problematic scientifically and ethically,” said the man from Eritrea.

“Leaving dangerous viruses that we don’t fully understand to escape is unethical. It’s not an option.”

He also cited the lack of information about the development of immunity to Covid-19, including how strong the immune response was and how long the antibodies remained in the body.

Tedros also pointed out that it is estimated that less than 10 percent of the population in most countries is believed to have contracted the disease.

“Most people in many countries remain vulnerable to this virus,” he said.

Also read: Is Herd Immunity Really Failed in Sweden? Here’s the explanation …

.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.