Virtual election debate between Trump and Biden canceled | NOW

The second election debate between US President Donald Trump and presidential candidate Joe Biden, which was to take place on October 15, has been canceled. That ate the Commission behind the debates Friday evening (local time). The committee took the decision after disagreements arose about the form of the debate that would be conducted online due to the corona virus.

“It is now clear that there is no debate on October 15, and the CPD is now going to focus on preparing for the final presidential debate, scheduled for October 22,” the committee said in a statement.

The committee decided on Thursday to have the debate online on 15 October in order to protect the health of everyone involved. The candidates would no longer be at the same location in Miami, but debate each other online from different locations.

Trump and a number of close ones, including his advisor Hope Hicks, tested positive for the virus last week. The president himself was admitted for several days and was released from hospital on Monday.

Trump says he has since recovered and is no longer contagious. He also says that he no longer takes medication for his corona treatment since Friday evening. Despite allegations about the casual attitude towards his contamination, the president has returned to work in the Oval Office since Wednesday.

Candidates announced alternative program on day of second debate

The committee’s decision provoked resistance from Trump, who indicated on Thursday that he did not want to participate in this form of debate. “I’m not going to waste my time on an online debate,” the president said FOX Business.

Biden previously stated that he did not want to debate Trump in the usual way as long as the president is still contagious.

Both candidates therefore announced an alternative program on October 15. For example, Trump has announced that he wants to hold a campaign meeting. Biden plans to answer questions from voters that day.

Initial debate between candidates was chaotic and hostile

Trump and Biden first met on September 30 in a debate that was not only chaotic but also hostile. During the fierce debate, both candidates did not shun any personal insults and often spoke simultaneously. Trump interrupted Biden a total of 73 times during the 90-minute debate.

The candidates were asked about, among other things, COVID-19 and the risk of electoral fraud. In terms of content, the chaotic debate led to few surprises.

It debate running mates Mike Pence and Kamala Harris, which was held on October 8, was less fierce. Unlike Trump and Biden, the running mates barely broke into each other’s speaking time. Both Pence and Harris managed to leave a number of questions from moderator Susan Page unanswered, but did manage to present the views of their own campaigns.

The debate on October 22 will continue as usual for the time being. According to the committee, both Trump and Biden have pledged to attend the debate.

.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.