Bundesliga club Werder Bremen may have to do without striker Niclas Füllkrug until next year. “Unfortunately we have a reaction to the strain on the injured calf,” said coach Florian Kohfeldt on Friday. In the upcoming games, the 38-year-old does not expect his central attacker again. “It is true that it will become an issue at the earliest in the direction of Mainz or Hanover, but maybe only against Union Berlin,” said Kohfeldt. His team plays against Mainz 05 five days before Christmas Eve. The DFB Cup game at Hannover 96 will follow before Christmas. Werder will face Union Berlin on January 2nd.
“It needs a solid structure,” said Kohfeldt about Füllkrug. “He’ll come back when he’s fully fit and not a second earlier.” Füllkrug sustained a calf injury in the home game against 1899 Hoffenheim on October 25 and has been out since then. Against VfB Stuttgart this Sunday (3.30 p.m. / Sky), Werder will also have to do without the injured Milot Rashica and the suspended Kevin Möhwald and Jean-Manuel Mbom.