US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken warned, Thursday, that the United States might take action against the leaders of the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces, after the collapse of a US-sponsored truce.
Blinken told reporters during NATO talks in Oslo that the United States is “looking at steps we can take to clarify our views on any leaders who are leading Sudan in the wrong direction.”
And the US State Department announced, Thursday, that Washington is ready to resume its mediation in Sudan when the two parties to the conflict are “serious”.
A State Department spokesman said the United States and Saudi Arabia “are ready to resume facilitating the pending talks to find a negotiated solution to this conflict, when the forces demonstrate clearly through their actions that they are serious about committing to the ceasefire.”
The Sudanese army spokesman, Brigadier General Nabil Abdullah, announced, on Wednesday, the suspension of the army’s participation in the talks with the Rapid Support Forces in the city of Jeddah, which dealt a blow to mediation efforts between the two sides whose conflict plunged Sudan into chaos.
Abdullah said the move comes in protest of the RSF’s repeated violations of the humanitarian ceasefire, including its continued occupation of hospitals and other civilian infrastructure in the capital, Khartoum.
He added that the army wanted to ensure full implementation of the terms of the truce before discussing further steps, without going into details.
In response to the army’s statement, the Rapid Support Forces announced their “unconditional support for the initiative of Saudi Arabia and the United States.”
It is noteworthy that so far 7 ceasefire agreements have been announced, all of which have been violated.
#America #action #leaders #Sudan