Jakarta, CNBC Indonesia – North Korean Leader (North Korea) Kim Jong Un issued an apology to South Korea (South Korea), Friday (9/24/2020). He was linked to the unexpected and “ shameful ” murder of a South Korean official.
“Kim is very sorry for the unexpected and embarrassing events that have disappointed President Moon and South Korea, rather than helping them deal with the dangerous coronavirus,” said Suh Hoon, South Korea’s National Security Adviser, as reported. AFP.
Pyongyang has also admitted shooting the man 10 times, for illegally entering the country’s waters. For refusing to identify himself properly
“The coast guard opened fire on him according to regular instructions,” he said, reading a letter from the department of the ruling party in North Korea responsible for relations with South Korea.
But unfortunately there has been no confirmation about the contents of the letter from the North Korean media. Usually there will be a statement from the local KCNA media regarding issues that occur between the two countries.
Some observers say this is rare. Ahn Chan-il, a North Korean defector who worked as a researcher in Seoul, said it was rare for North Korea to offer an apology. Especially to South Korea and its president.
“I think this is the first time since 1976,” he stressed, referring to the killing of two US officers in the Demilitarized Zone of the two allied countries.
Other observers say North Korea wants to calm its neighbors after the shooting occurs. This was confirmed by an observer from Ewha University, Prof. Leif-Eric Easley.
“The apology reduces the risk of escalation between the two Koreas and keeps the expectations of the Moon (South Korean President) government,” he said.
Previously, a South Korean fisheries official went missing from Monday (21/9/2020). The official was reported missing from a South Korean fishing patrol boat when it was about 10 kilometers (6 miles) south of the Northern Boundary Line (NNL), a disputed territory between the two allied nations.
He was then found by North Korean soldiers, shot and his body burned. Media South Korea Yonhap sources said North Korean forces may be acting under the order of the coronavirus (Covid-19) prevention rules.
This outraged South Korea. President Moon, who has consistently wanted peace between the two Koreas, said this could not be tolerated for any reason. The same thing was seen in an editorial of the South Korean Daily JoongAng who was angry with North Korea’s actions.
“The act of killing an unarmed man and burning his body is unforgivable in any way,” he said.
In a local media, it is written AFP, the South Korean fisheries official was wearing a life jacket when he disappeared from a patrol boat at the Yeonpyeong border. North Korean troops found him 24 hours later.
He is 40 years old. He has two children and recently divorced his wife due to financial problems.
Seoul military officials said he was interrogated while still in the water. He had said that he wanted to defect to North Korea.
But he was killed after orders from the order. This, it is called, corresponds to the national emergency prevention regulations.
Just like other parts of the world, North Korea is also fighting Covid-19. Pyongyang closed its border with China in January and state media said authorities had raised the state of emergency to a maximum level in July.
(Head / head)