President Trump’s Middle East peace plan is based on a two-state solution. The United States makes greater concessions to the Palestinians than many expect. However, Palestinian President Abbas’ response is devastating.
– – –
US-President Donald Trump presented his long-awaited Middle East plan at a joint press conference with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. It provides for a two-state solution.
In the White House, Trump had already met with the right-wing conservative head of government and his challenger Benny Gantz from the Blue-White center alliance in separate meetings on Monday to explain his plan.
The Palestinian leadership has already dismissed this as a violation of UN resolutions and international law. In a first reaction, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said: “After the nonsense we heard today, we said no to the deal of the century a thousand times.” He spoke of the “blow of the century”.
Palestinians are to be given the capital of East Jerusalem
The United States wants to recognize Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank. In return, Israel should freeze new settlement activities for four years. The Palestinians would have to make progress in respect of human rights, freedom of the press and the rule of law for their own state. Trump stressed that young people in the Middle East are ready for an era of peace. Governments in the region understood that Islamist terrorism was the common enemy.