June 29, 2023 09:20 Last Updated: 10:56
A 16-year-old boy in the UK died after drinking a protein shake his father bought for him. The judge has not yet identified the cause of death. His organs have been damaged and donated for transplantation. Unexpectedly, 13 months later, the patient who received his organ transplant The patient was rushed to the hospital due to epileptic seizures, only to find out that the boy suffered from a rare disease before his death. It was the high concentration of protein in the milkshake that killed him, and his hidden disease was transferred to the transplant recipient along with the organ donation.
The incident can be traced back to 3 years ago. The British “Mirror” reported that Rohan Godhania (Rohan Godhania) from West London was slender. His father bought him a protein shake one day, hoping to help strengthen his muscles. That night, he developed vomiting and abdominal pain. The next day, his vision was blurred, and his condition deteriorated rapidly. He was sent to the nursing ward. A CT scan revealed severe brain swelling and damage. He died three days later.
At that time, Luo Han’s family could not accept this fact, even the cause of death could not be found out for a while, and the forensic doctor was also helpless, because the organs of Luo Han were transplanted to the new owner soon after his death. It wasn’t until a year later that a patient who received Luo Han’s organs was sent to the hospital due to epileptic seizures, and the truth of the incident came to light. It turned out that Luo Han suffered from “ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency” (OTC) without knowing . This disease is quite rare. The body cannot remove ammonia from the blood due to a lack of certain enzymes. The high concentration of protein in the milk shake causes the attack, and the ammonia in the blood accumulates rapidly, and eventually dies.
The cause of death came to light, unfortunately the disease would be diverted by organ donation. According to independent investigators, at least one patient who received an organ transplant from Luo Han developed severe symptoms of OTC.
The incident triggered a series of legal issues and even went to court. Forensic doctor Osborne (Tom Osborne) wrote to the regulatory agency, warning that the disease is not only caused by high-protein milkshakes, but also drinking beer. In order to avoid another “Arhat” appearing, the authorities are urged to mark warnings on related products , “may save lives.”
Luo Han’s family filed a lawsuit against a specialized hospital that regarded the 16-year-old Luo Han as an adult patient and refused to refer him, and another hospital refused to conduct an ammonia test on Luo Han, thus missing the chance of rescue. And continue to threaten the lives of other patients of the same age.
read more articles
#British #boy #drank #protein #shake #died #suddenly #donated #organ