Tips for the safe use of hydroalcoholic gels

Nobody leaves their house without keys, wallet and mobile; and for almost a year the mask and the hydroalcoholic gel have become the best allies to stop the contagion by covid.

This substance has become the best ally as a preventive measure to avoid the transmission of covid, however, a very significant increase in accidental poisonings by the same, according to the National Institute of Toxicology and Forensic Sciences (INTCF), dependent on the Ministry of Justice.

In fact, the INTCF has registered a increase of more than 900 percent of poisonings in 2020 compared to 2019. According to the Institute, most of these poisonings occurred accidentally. By type, more than 84% was by oral route, 7% through the ocular mucosa, almost 3% by inhalation and more than 2% were by skin exposure.

For this reason, to avoid this type of accident and promote the safe use and conservation of these products, the mutual Umivale has prepared a series of recommendations.

“Hydroalcoholic gels are flammable since they contain a high percentage of ethanol, They are irritants so they can cause burns and serious eye damage and if swallowed they are toxic. For this reason, we have seen the need to compile in a publication the main prevention measures to be taken into account to disseminate among our mutual members ”, pointed out José Luis Cebrián, head of Prevention of the Umivale mutual.

These are the new tips to adopt to prevent accidents:

  • Avoid applying hydroalcoholic solutions and gels to sensitive or damaged areas of the skin or mucosa. Its use may increase the risk of skin lesions such as irritant dermatitis or allergic contact dermatitis.
  • Keep these products always away from heat sources such as direct sunlight, hot surfaces, open flames, sparks or any source of ignition.
  • Avoid smoking immediately after using these gels or solutions or in places where they are stored, due to the danger of fire due to their high percentage of ethanol.
  • Store them in a well ventilated and cool place, avoiding spaces where significant temperature changes occur.
  • In case of contact with the eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water for several minutes. It is very important that it be done right after contact, since the delay in the application of water can aggravate the eye injuries or burns. If irritation remains, see a doctor.
  • In case of ingestion, immediately call the Toxicological Information Service (91 562 04 20) or go to an emergency doctor. Since they contain alcohol in high concentrations, the main symptoms in case of accidental ingestion are those of alcohol intoxication. In addition, it can cause irritation to the mucous membranes, especially in the oral cavity and stomach.
  • Hydroalcoholic solutions and gels should be kept out of the reach of children. As a general rule, manufacturers do not recommend its use before 2 years.
  • Always supervise the use of these products by the little ones. They are not fully aware of how they should be used or the danger they can pose.
  • Make sure that no children are around when using community dispensers. On many occasions the product is dispensed at children’s eye level and it can cause splashing.
Read Also:  Michel wants "cards on the table" from Britons in Brexit negotiations | Abroad | News
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Trending