Center. The renovation work at the Krefeld town hall has started with the scaffolding of the building at Von-der-Leyen-Platz: the facade renovation includes the replacement of the windows and the cleaning and repair of the facade.
The roof is given a new slate roof, the substructure is repaired and thermal insulation is installed. The city is investing around 1.7 million euros. The architect Martin Leydel created the “City Palace” in 1794 for the Conrad von der Leyen Commercial Council. The representative house of the family of manufacturers was once considered a masterpiece of the Rhenish classic. Work on behalf of the central building management of the city of Krefeld is scheduled to be completed in early November.
Work is also underway on the renovation of the underground car park under the town hall: in the first phase of construction, the entrance and entrance areas are currently being modernized for 1.9 million euros. The replacement of the smoke protection doors and the removal of the thresholds have already been partially carried out. In the second large construction phase, the repair and modernization of the parking levels follows. The
Orders are scheduled for the end of November 2020, the end of the project for December 2021.
In November 2020, the contract for the repair of the former “inhabitant registration hall” (EMA hall) in the town hall is also planned: the Bauhaus student, Hans Volger, worked in Krefeld until the 1960s as a construction councilor. In the 1950s, he designed the extension including the former EMA hall on Sankt-Anton-Straße. This will be converted into a city service center for around 3.5 million euros.