The government is asleep, Eni is not. And he discovers a new gas field in the Mediterranean

The monthly National Primacy on newsstands

Roma, 16 set – Eni announced today “a new gas discovery in the area previously defined as “Great Nooros Area”, in the Abu Madi West license in the conventional waters of the Nile Delta ”. In a nutshell, the ‘Six-legged dog’ has found a new gas field in the Mediterranean, Egyptian side, and is increasingly confirmed as leader in a crucial area for Italy. So if on the one hand the yellow-fuchsia government’s foreign policy is leaking from all sides, on the other, luckily, we have a company that continues to show itself capable of beating international competition and playing a leading role.

The importance of the new discovery

In the same area where the new discovery took place today, Eni had announced in early July to have successfully drilled the first exploration well in the North El Hammad license, on the elevation called Bashrush. While the gas field found is now located “a 16 meters of water depth, 5 kilometers from the coast and 4 kilometers north of the Nooros camp, discovered in July 2015 ”, reads the note from the ‘Six-legged dog’. “Eni will launch together with its partner bp, in coordination with the Egyptian Petroleum Sector, the development options of the new discovery benefiting from the synergy with the infrastructures already present in the area”, writes the Italian company. And “through its subsidiary in Egypt IEOC, it holds a 75% interest in the Abu Madi West concession, while bp holds the remaining 25%. The license is operated by Petrobel, a 50/50 joint venture between IEOC and the Egyptian state company Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC) ”.

From Enrico Mattei to the latest achievements

Eni then underlines in the same note that it is “Present in Egypt since 1954”. A date that marked the beginning of the wide-ranging energy policy of post-war Italy, because it was in that year that Enrico Mattei landed in the North African nation and began his extraordinary work. And it is always in Egypt that Eni in 2018 discovered the largest hydrocarbon deposit in the history of the Mediterranean. In short, that of the ‘Six-legged dog’ is a story of conquests and successes, also obtained in recent years, since that is when Italian politics in the grip of laxity has not been able (but above all wanted to) claim its leading role in the Mare Nostrum .

Eugenio Palazzini

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.