Illustration of drinking tea (iStockphoto)
Suaranusantara.com – Tea is a popular beverage worldwide and can provide a variety of health benefits.
It is important to consume tea wisely and in moderation. The recommended tea consumption limit is around 2-3 cups (200-300 ml) per day for most adults.
However, if consumed in excess, tea can also have side effects. The following are the benefits and side effects of drinking tea in excessive amounts:
Benefits of tea:
- Antioxidant content: Tea contains antioxidants, such as polyphenols, which can help fight free radicals in the body and protect cells from oxidative damage.
- Maintain heart health: Several studies have shown that consumption of tea, especially green tea, can help maintain heart health by reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Improves cognitive function: Tea contains both caffeine and the amino acid L-theanine, which may help improve focus, alertness and cognitive performance.
- Lowering the risk of type 2 diabetes: Some research suggests that drinking tea, especially green and black tea, can help regulate blood sugar levels and lower the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Boosts the immune system: Tea contains compounds like epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) that can boost immunity and fight infections.
Side effects of tea if consumed in excess:
- Excessive caffeine: Tea contains caffeine, which when consumed in excessive amounts can cause jitters, sleep disturbances, fast heart rate and anxiety.
- Impaired absorption of iron: The tannins in tea can interfere with the absorption of non-heme iron in food, especially when taken with food.
- Sleep disturbances: The caffeine content in tea can cause sleep disturbances if consumed too close to bedtime.
- Digestive problems: Some people may experience digestive problems like heartburn, diarrhea or constipation if they drink excessive amounts of tea.
- Certain health problems: Some medical conditions such as stomach acid disorders, sleep disorders, or certain pregnancy disorders may require limiting tea consumption.(red)
#Benefits #Drinking #Tea #Health #Side #Effects #Excessive #Consumption #Suara #Nusantara