Sony Santa Monica posted a formal statement on Twitter calling on gamers to treat developers with respect. This came after Cory Barlog, creative director at the Sony studio, also made a similar appeal and Return to Monkey Island creator Ron Gilbert said he will no longer share about his game due to the comments on it.
Sony Santa Monica stands behind Barlog in its statement, saying: “Everyone at Santa Monica Studio is working to make a game we can be proud of, one that we hope you enjoy when it comes out. Our fans inspire us, and we understand the passion and desire for more information.”
“But that passion should not be toxic, nor should it be to the detriment of anyone else’s dignity. Let’s celebrate our community by treating each other with respect, every gamer and developer,” the studio said.
Due to several news reports and intense speculation from insiders, an announcement regarding God of War Ragnarök was expected earlier this week. That did not come, after which some developers involved in the game were attacked online. Jason Schreier reported on June 30 that a release date announcement was indeed planned that day, but that it fell through for unknown reasons. “As far as I know, the game has not been delayed again,” said the Bloomberg reporter.