Some Montreal Canadiens players are said to have contracted COVID-19.
• Read also: A verdict in 7 to 10 days for Max Domi
According to information from The Athletic, at least three players have been affected by the virus. The National Hockey League (NHL) and the Canadiens’ organization declined to provide further information due to the policy regarding a player’s right to medical confidentiality. It is the NHL that will disclose whether a player has tested positive for COVID-19, without however indicating which player it is or the team for which it plays.
The Bettman circuit has already issued two such reports in phase 2 of the process, on June 29 and July 6. During the most recent, 23 of the 396 players tested had been declared positive, while more than 2900 tests had been carried out.
When the authorities of the Bettman circuit learn that a player has been declared positive, the latter must isolate himself and follow a strict protocol, issued by the National League, before he can return to play.
Since Saturday, defender Karl Alzner has given up playing in the NHL’s return to play plan. Forward Max Domi will miss at least the first week of the team’s training camp, who has type 1 diabetes.
A total of 29 players have jumped on the Brossard ice rink since the start of phase 2 of the return to play plan. A first practice must take place on Monday, in connection with the start of phase 3.
The players of the 24 teams who should resume action on 1is August, in the cities of Toronto and Edmonton, have until 5:00 p.m. Monday to tell their respective teams whether or not to take part in the NHL playoffs.
Already a few players have said they won’t be back this season, including defensemen Travis Hamonic, Roman Polak, Steven Kampfer and Mike Green, respectively with the Calgary Flames, Dallas Stars, Boston Bruins and Oilers of Edmonton, as well as forward Sven Baertschi of the Vancouver Canucks.