The new suspect in kidnapping Madeleine McCann in May 2007 is named Christian Brueckner. The information was released this Thursday by the German newspaper Der Spiegel.
According to the information released, the man, who is currently in prison in Germany for crimes of sexual abuse, lived in the Algarve in 1995 and 2007.
The new suspect was arrested for raping a 73-year-old American woman in Portugal.
The British police, together with the German police, launched this Wednesday a new public appeal for information about a German man, suspected of involvement in the disappearance of Madeleine McCann in Portugal in 2007.
The whereabouts of the child, who may be alive, are not yet known. Maddie will now be 17 years old.
Everything we know about the suspect:
– The man is of German nationality and is 43 years old. He is about six feet tall, fair skin and blond hair. It is described as being thin.
– Christian Brueckner is said to have lived in the Algarve in various periods between 1995 and 2007. At the time of Maddie’s disappearance, on May 3, 2007, the man was in the Lagos area and was 30 years old.
– Christian Brueckner in the registration of several sexual crimes. He is serving a 7-year prison sentence in Germany for raping a 73-year-old American woman in Portugal. The man has two previous convictions for crimes of pedophilia, for improper sexual contacts with two young girls.
– The German was convicted in 2019 for the violation of the American tourist, which occurred in September 2005. There was new evidence, namely a crime video, that allowed Christian to be identified. The DNA tests done proved that Christian was in fact responsible for the heinous crime. The victim was threatened with a knife and beaten with a metal object. In the end the criminal stole her about 100 euros and left her hands and feet tied.
– The suspect had a Portuguese phone number. He drew the attention of the authorities because the numbers used were on call between 7:32 pm and 8:02 pm – precisely the ‘key time’ when the girl disappeared from the room where she slept with the two brothers. Christian would use the number + 351 912 730 680 and would have received a call during that time from another Portuguese number (+351 916 510 683), but that would not be in exactly the same area.
– The German is said to have worked in various sectors, namely in catering, with indications that he has committed crimes of theft in hotels, holiday apartments and restaurants, and is also linked to drug trafficking.
– The suspect appears associated with two vehicles that will be essential in the investigation. A white and yellow VolksWagen Westphalian van was used by himself during the month of May 2007. Christian may have even lived in the van for a few days. This vehicle would have Portuguese registration. Brueckner also had a Jaguar XJR & from 1993, with German registration, which was registered in his name and which, according to the authorities, was in the area of Paraia da Luz between 2006 and 2007. The day after Maddie’s disappearance, May 4 , Christian changed the name in the registration of the vehicle.
– Shortly after Maddie Mccann disappeared, Christian will have left Portugal and returned to Germany.
– The suspect lived in a house located in Praia da Luz, near the Ocean’s Club, and will also have spent time in another house in Lagos, which the Correio da Manhã and CMTV showed exclusively.