Said he carried out the attack because he was out of food

One of the more than a hundred documentary evidence that will be presented in the trial that begins on Wednesday, is a picture of Bråthen’s refrigerator.

In the days after the killings at Kongsberg on October 13 last year, the police asked if there was any reason why he had carried out the attack that day.

TV 2 is informed that Bråthen responded by saying that it was because he had run out of food.

Based on the explanation, the police investigated whether it was true that he did not have access to anything to eat. Investigations showed that he had both food in the fridge and enough money in his account to buy more.

Planned half a year

Bråthen himself says that he had been thinking about carrying out the attack for half a year, TV 2 is informed.

The police have previously stated that they believe the planning took place for “some time” prior to the attack. As TV 2 understands it, the prosecution believes that the specific planning has not been going on for as long as half a year in advance.

KILLER: Espen Andersen Bråthen (38) has explained himself in detail in the evening when he killed five people on Kongsberg last autumn. Photo: Private

Three court-appointed experts have been appointed who have assessed Bråthen. They have, as TV 2 understands it, obtained large amounts of documentation and talked to people in the defendant’s close circle.

A number of conversations have also been conducted with Bråthen.

The prosecuting authority will, in line with the experts’ assessments, drop the claim that Bråthen is sentenced to compulsory mental health care.

– I do not want to comment on any circumstances that may help to shed light on the course of events or other things related to the presentation of evidence, says State Attorney Andreas Christiansen to TV 2.

– Large load

Bråthen’s defender, lawyer Fredrik Neumann, says that he admits to having done what he is accused of. He does not want to go into what Bråthen will explain in court.

– It will be an extremely heavy and difficult process for all those affected. I think many are looking forward to having this trial over, says Neumann.

The lawyer says that they do not plan a comprehensive presentation of evidence on their part as the court-appointed experts are unanimous that there is strong evidence that Bråthen was insane.

– I will not pre-prosecute this case, but the way the indictment is formulated, it seems to agree well with what he has acknowledged and the other technical evidence in the case.

Coordinating assistance lawyer Astrid Røkeberg tells TV 2 that it is important for her clients that the trial is conducted in a dignified manner.

THE HOME: Forensic technicians conducted investigations into the home of murder suspect Espen Andersen Bråthen for several days after the attack.  Photo: Kristin Grønning / TV 2

THE HOME: Forensic technicians conducted investigations into the home of murder suspect Espen Andersen Bråthen for several days after the attack. Photo: Kristin Grønning / TV 2

– This is a great burden for the bereaved and for the offended. They want as many as possible in the future, she says.

Lawyer Vibeke Gjone Bille, who represents the survivors of Gunnar Erling Sauve and Liv Berit Borge, says that the trial will be a great burden for her clients as well.

26 offended

Buskerud District Court has set aside a month for the trial, which thus begins on Wednesday.

In addition to five murders, Bråthen is charged with 11 attempted murders and 13 cases of serious threats. He is also charged with several other offenses, including throwing a knife at three police officers.

They killed were Andrea Meyer (52), Hanne Merethe Englund (56), Gun Marith Madsen (78), Liv Berit Borge (75) and Gunnar Erling Sauve (75).

KILLED: Andrea Meyer (52), Liv Berit Borge (75), Hanne Merethe Englund (56), Gun Marith Madsen (78) and Gunnar Erling Sauve (75).  Photo: Private

KILLED: Andrea Meyer (52), Liv Berit Borge (75), Hanne Merethe Englund (56), Gun Marith Madsen (78) and Gunnar Erling Sauve (75). Photo: Private

It appears from the indictment that Bråthen stabbed those killed several times with a knife, and that they all died after a short time. According to the indictment, all the killings took place within a time frame of approximately 20 minutes.

All the eleven attempted murders the 38-year-old is charged with, took place inside a Coop Extra store where he shot around with a bow and arrow. Three of the victims were hit by arrows, but did not inflict life-threatening injuries.

In addition to those killed, there are 26 victims in the case.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Never miss any important news. Subscribe to our newsletter.