For almost a year of living in a pandemic, doctors have already developed a working treatment regimen for coronavirus. Ideally, the disease itself passes under the supervision of a doctor, but after a formal recovery, a person is most often left to himself. At the same time, COVID-19 does not always go away without a trace – it happens that those who have had a cough, shortness of breath and weakness. And this is where Internet recipes come into play, which, according to the assurances of their authors, should heal you quickly and for sure.
But is it? We have collected the most popular and unusual Internet tips for recovering from coronavirus and asked Amur doctors to tell you which of them can really help and which will only harm. All advice will be commented by doctors of the Amur Regional Center for Public Health and Medical Prevention Irina Zhidkova and Tatiana Burmistrova.
We bring back the smell and taste
Loss of smell is one of the most common symptoms of coronavirus. Moreover, even if a person is completely healthy, the smell and taste can return with a long delay.
23-year-old blogger from Canada Kemar Gary Lalor showed on TikToc an unusual way that restores the sense of smell after COVID-19 in a few days. The recipe, according to the guy, comes from Jamaica. You need to take an orange and brown sugar and fry the orange over an open fire until it turns black. The fruit prepared in an original way must be peeled and covered in a separate bowl with 2-5 tablespoons of brown sugar. According to the blogger, this recipe got him back to smell in a few days.
Another way to restore your sense of smell is to regularly sniff harsh spices. This recipe was recommended on the Internet by a physician, neurophysiologist Alexander Budik. Several times a day, he advised to perceive different smells for about 20 seconds. It should be strong aromas, such as clove or cinnamon, to get the organs to work actively.
The opinion of the Amur doctors:
– Between 34 and 98 percent of COVID-19 patients experience anosmia, that is, the loss of the ability to distinguish between odors. The loss of smell is caused by the effect of the virus on the brain and cells of the olfactory epithelium.
There are several reasons and mechanisms for the development of this symptom. When an infection enters the respiratory tract, the cells produce a secretion that leads to swelling (swelling) of the mucous membrane, so the olfactory receptors are under this “inflammatory blanket” and do not recognize odors. In this case, after stopping the inflammation (washing with saline, irrigation and other measures), the perception of odors is restored in about two weeks without any particular problems.
In case of damage to the olfactory receptor, it will take more time – about one month. This is where the above tips can help: to restore the sense of smell, it is worth inhaling “bright” aromas, but not having a pungent odor (for example, you can not inhale ammonia, ethers, etc.). Imagination also helps, for example, you can mentally imagine that you are inhaling the smell of lavender, cinnamon, tangerine. This “virtual training” helps to awaken the areas of the brain that are responsible for recognizing smells, stimulating them to activate.
If the parts of the central nervous system that are responsible for this function are affected, then “bright” smells will not help. In this case, you should contact a neurologist to prescribe special treatment.
We fight shortness of breath and cough
One of the most popular Internet tips for recovering breathing after COVID-19 is Strelnikova gymnastics. According to its creators, it is both the prevention of infectious diseases and an excellent way to recover. You can easily find exercises on the Internet.
Steam breathing is actively promoted on the Internet, which should relieve shortness of breath. It is recommended to add soda, chamomile or other folk remedies to the water.
It is advised to relieve coughing and sleeping on the stomach, they say, all patients with pneumonia do just that.
The opinion of the Amur doctors:
– There is no universal advice here. If a person has suffered a coronavirus infection in a mild or asymptomatic form, then the method according to Strelnikova for him will be “within the power” to fulfill. If a person was ill with complications (pneumonia, pneumonitis, myocarditis, etc.), then it is not worth speeding up recovery and recovery. In this case, it is necessary to start with breathing exercises without effort, without resistance or burden, and at a pace that does not cause shortness of breath. In addition to breathing exercises, general strengthening exercises are necessary (for example, for the limbs and trunk), which alternate with breathing exercises.
Here are how many such exercises:
- It is performed lying on the back, one hand is on the chest, the other on the stomach. Inhale through the nose (calmly, on the count of one or two) at this time, the abdomen and chest rise along with the hands lying on them. Exhale through the mouth (calmly, on the count of one-two-three-four) at this time the abdomen and chest are lowered. Repeat gradually increasing up to 6 times – 3-5 times a day.
- Starting position: lying on your back, arms outstretched to the sides, palms to the ceiling, feet hip-width apart, bent at the knees with an emphasis on the floor. Inhale through the nose (calmly, at the expense of one or two) at this time we lift the lumbar spine and the lower part of the chest (we lift it off the floor). Exhale through the mouth (calmly, on the count of one-two-three-four) hug ourselves with our arms. Repeat gradually increasing up to six times – 3-5 times a day.
Breathing with steam inhalation, especially with the addition of salt or soda, is not worth it. The mucous membrane of the upper respiratory tract is weakened after illness and additional irritation, temperature and chemical, can provoke a cough or its intensification. Inhalation can be performed only as directed by a doctor and using a nebulizer.
We return strength
Weakness after an illness occurs in every second. According to experts on the Internet, many folk remedies can bring you back to life at once: a decoction of echinacea, dog and bear fat, honey and ginger, tincture of horseradish roots, which must be sniffed and drunk, turmeric and wormwood, onion juice with sugar. All this is prescribed by people to themselves and in different proportions: “Dog fat + honey + scarlet in the morning, take a teaspoon and take it off like a hand”, Internet users share their advice.
A separate item is alcoholic infusions, which “instantly return vitality”: “I crumbled half a jar of horseradish roots, poured it with vodka and drank it three times a day, one tablespoon, diluting in a glass of water,” write on thematic forums.
Someone advises to resort to a diet without sugar and carbohydrates, or cleanse the body with “Polysorb” and activated carbon. In this case, the toxins must completely leave your body and free you from suffering.
Another way to combat weakness is to immediately take up intense physical activity, no matter if it is running, walking, or exercising in the gym.
The opinion of the Amur doctors:
In fact, in order to increase immunity after a viral infection, you just need to follow some simple rules.
1. Psychological calmness. It is advisable not to overwork yourself and, if possible, surround yourself only with positive people, take breaks at work more often and be more calm about stressful situations.
2. Adequate sleep. Go to bed no later than 10 pm at the same time (both on weekdays and weekends). Get into relaxing habits – by bedtime, listen to soothing music, take a warm bath, do a light stretch, read a paper book or magazine. Limit gadget use and TV viewing at least an hour before bed. Air out the bedroom in the evening, keep the temperature in it a couple of degrees lower than in other rooms. Don’t overeat at night.
3. Water procedures. Water is able to relax, soothe. If possible, visit the pool. No – take baths with sea salt, a contrast shower, if there are no contraindications, then visit the bathhouse. Full body rubbing activates blood circulation and, in addition to feeling freshness and comfort, hardens the body.
5. Physical activity. Not immediately after illness, but after 1–2 weeks. Try to lead a more active lifestyle, take more walks, start or continue your activities in sports clubs, do yoga, dance very well. The surest way to increase immunity is physical labor in the fresh air.
6. Drink plenty of water. Not just liquids, but pure water to remove toxins from the body that are released during intoxication with a virus. To do this, drink a full glass of clean water 30 minutes before each meal. To add flavor, you can add lemon juice, mint leaves, lavender or rosemary, citrus slices, cucumber slices, fruits or berries to the water. Avoid strong coffee, tea, and especially caffeinated soft drinks or energy drinks for a while. They can lead to dehydration and adversely affect sleep.
7. A healthy diet plays a critical role in recovery from any illness. An abundance of fruits, fresh vegetables, herbs and high-quality protein foods significantly improve health. Freshly squeezed vegetable and fruit juices, boiled meat and fish, fermented milk products, high-quality green tea – all this should be present in your diet. It makes sense to replace flour products with bread, baked goods with whole grains, bread with bran.
At the same time, the use of any alcohol, not to mention concentrated alcohol solutions, is a health hazard. Ethyl alcohol and its metabolites inhibit the function of alveolar macrophages, which play an important role in protecting the lungs from infection.
Smoking is also harmful. COVID-19 strikes primarily the respiratory, cardiovascular systems. Smoking increases the risk of respiratory infections, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cardiovascular disease, weakens the immune system, makes patients more susceptible to lung infections, both bacterial and viral, and more vulnerable to COVID-19, aggravates the disease and worsens forecast. It is better for those who have been ill to abandon this bad habit.
As you can see, there is no magic pill, tincture or decoction that will immediately remove all the consequences of the coronavirus. Keep your common sense, don’t panic, listen to doctors, not internet experts, and most importantly – be healthy!