Munich can still not guarantee games with spectators two months before the start of the European Championship and thus risks being eliminated as the host city. Mayor Dieter Reiter (SPD) announced on Monday after a meeting with DFB Vice President Rainer Koch that he wanted fans in the Allianz Arena. In the current pandemic, however, it cannot be ruled out that this wish will remain unfulfilled in June.
From today’s perspective, it can of course not be ruled out that, due to the infection process and the corresponding requirements of the Bavarian Infection Protection Regulation, no spectators can be admitted to the game dates in June, “said Reiter, according to a message from the city.
Last week, UEFA asked the hosts Munich, Rome, Bilbao and Dublin to provide additional information for the staging of the games by April 19 – next Monday. The UEFA Executive Committee then makes a final decision on the number of hosts. Eight cities have already promised to host the games in front of at least some spectators.
Lahm wants up to 50 percent utilization
DFB deputy boss Koch again presented the UEFA request in Munich. He also emphasized that health protection and the general corona situation should be taken into account. “Against this background, I would be delighted if the city of Munich also sees UEFA’s position as a desirable objective,” said Koch.
Philipp Lahm, the German head of organization, had already said in a radio interview on Sunday that there are scenarios in Munich from no viewers to a load of 50 percent. But hope is not a guarantee. Reiter promised that the city would “make every effort and continuously examine the various options in the coming weeks”. “To this end, we are in constant contact with all of our partners, especially through the DFB.” Whether that is enough is open.