Three years ago, Olivier Max Caramin died in Australia at the age of 27 from overheating. This happened during the harvesting of pumpkins in unsafe conditions.
The judge has now sentenced his employer to a fine of $ 65,000 ($ 39,000) to be paid to the government for failing to comply with the Workplace Health and Safety Act, the Queensland workplace safety act. “Of course such a fine is not enough”, says his mother Veerle Van Praag at home in Brasschaat. “Had there been a video of Oli’s last hours as in the Chovanec case, his death would have been world news.”
The verdict in the Caramin case dates back to October 2, but was only now known. Veerle Van Praag followed it along with her other children via a live stream in Belgium. “Due to the hour difference, it ran …