Munich (dpa / lby) – After the first monkeypox case in Munich, according to the Ministry of Health, four close contacts of the patient are in quarantine. A spokesman said on Monday afternoon that no other confirmed or suspected cases of monkeypox had been reported to the ministry.
The 26-year-old patient from Brazil is being treated in an isolated room in the Schwabing hospital. He had gone to the investigation himself and then named four close contacts. The ministry spokesman said that they had been informed by the Munich Health Department (GSR) about the risk of infection and the rules of conduct. Because they were close contacts, quarantine had been ordered for them.
The man was previously in Düsseldorf and Frankfurt am Main. The city of Düsseldorf announced that the Munich health department had reconstructed that the patient had been in Düsseldorf before the actual infection. He only got infected during a stopover on the onward journey to Munich.
According to Federal Health Minister Karl Lauterbach (SPD), further containment measures are being prepared after the first cases of monkeypox have appeared in Germany. Recommendations on isolation and quarantine would be drawn up with the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), Lauterbach said on Monday in Geneva. According to the RKI, health authorities can already order isolation and quarantine.
At the beginning of May, a monkeypox case was detected in Great Britain – according to experts, the pathogen was probably already circulating in many countries. In the meantime, well over 100 cases have been detected worldwide. According to the authorities, the virus usually only causes mild symptoms such as fever, headache and muscle pain and skin rash, but can have severe courses.
© dpa-infocom, dpa:220523-99-400611/3