The model project in Tübingen is at risk, the number of corona infections is increasing. The project continues, but requirements are becoming stricter. Boris Palmer wrote a letter to the population.
Update from April 7th, 5:05 pm: Together with co-initiator and doctor Lisa Federle, Tübingen’s Mayor Boris Palmer wrote an open letter to the residents of the university town. “We were really good, but unfortunately not good enough,” says the letter on the city’s website. In the letter, Lisa Federle and Boris Palmer show understanding for those who are frustrated at the closure of outdoor restaurants. However, both also emphasize that an expansion of the daily corona tests is absolutely necessary. “You cannot meet all needs in this situation,” they say.
Thanks to the obligation to test as part of the model test in Tübingen, many options remained open that are closed again elsewhere. “The alternative, however, is always the closure: The bridge lockdown that we are now talking about would also mean that retail and culture have to close again and only emergency care is offered in schools and daycare centers,” write Lisa Federle and Boris Palmer in her letter. Both those responsible are still convinced of the model project: “We believe that with what we have already learned about mandatory testing, we can break the third wave without a lockdown.”
Update from April 7th, 10:45 am: Because the corona virus continues to spread in Baden-Württemberg, the Tübingen model project “Opening with Safety” is threatened. In the meantime, the Baden-Württemberg Ministry of Health has agreed with the state health office, the city of Tübingen and the local health department: Despite the increasing number of infections, it will continue for the time being.
However, the city of Tübingen has to make adjustments. Mayor Boris Palmer emphasized that more tests and more controls will be carried out so that the retail trade and culture in Tübingen can remain open. Nevertheless, an adjustment is particularly difficult: the outdoor catering has to close again, and there are no longer day tickets for non-residents.
Rising number of corona cases: Tübingen is also making improvements in daycare centers and companies
In addition, as part of the model project in Tübingen, a mandatory weekly rapid test for children in daycare centers and emergency care in schools is being introduced. Even in companies with more than 50 employees, a test is compulsory from next Monday – a quick test is scheduled twice a week. The university city is also expanding the alcohol ban zone.
If the increase in the number of cases in Tübingen continues despite the measures now envisaged and the infection rate increases instead of decrease, countermeasures must continue or, in case of doubt, an interruption of the project, said Baden-Württemberg Health Minister Manfred Lucha loudly German press agency. The project will continue to be closely monitored and the city will be supported. “It is still clear, however, that the model project is currently in jeopardy,” says Lucha.
First report from April 6th: Tübingen – that Coronavirus in Baden-Württemberg* doesn’t stop at Tübingen either. In the university town, the model project “Opening with Security” is still running, which is intended to ensure everyday life as normal as possible through extensive corona tests. Since then, the corona test strategy has also been criticized, Tübingen Mayor Boris Palmer received death threats (BW24 * reported). The model project was modified over the long Easter weekend. Trade, culture and gastronomy remained open with compulsory testing.
Under these conditions, the corona test strategy should initially continue to run in Tübingen, although the emergency brake is already in place in the Tübingen district. But the state government of Baden-Württemberg should decide today whether the model project can really be completed.
Model project in Tübingen: Rising new corona infections put strategy at risk
Shortly before Easter, things did not look good for Mayor Boris Palmer’s corona test strategy. The model project in Tübingen was threatened with demolition*, SPD health expert Karl Lauterbach described “testing instead of lockdown” as “wishful thinking”.
Indeed, the initially positive outlook seems to be slowly reversing. The 7-day incidence in Tübingen is according to the German Press Agency (dpa) meanwhile at 89, in the Tübingen district according to the State Health Office even at 108.9. The value of new corona infections is ever in the university city. 100,000 residents within a week on March 18, still at 19.7, so the dpa.
Corona infections in Tübingen: the model project continues, but is increasingly being adapted
The model project had to be adapted several times. So there is now No more corona tests for shopping tourists in Tübingen*. After a negative result, the nine test stations still only offer day tickets for people from the Tübingen district and the university town.
“The extended mask requirement and the alcohol ban also continue to apply,” said Tübingen’s Mayor Boris Palmer German press agency. But whether the model project can really be brought to an end in view of the corona virus in Baden-Württemberg is not in the hands of the Green politician. The last word in this regard will be spoken today by the state government.*BW24 is an offer from IPPEN.MEDIA
Header list image: © Tom Weller / dpa