Massacre of Kishish.. A spark that could overwhelm 4 African countries

warns a political analyst who spoke to the site "Sky News Arabia"of that the intensified return Ethnic and political conflicts Sara "A powder keg"not just explode Congo Democracy, but could ignite fires engulfing several countries in the Great Lakes region of central Africa.

The massacre, which killed 50 people on Tuesday, is the latest in a string of violence that escalated last month in the village of Kishish, displacing 300,000 people, according to the UN peacekeeping mission. Unite. "monosk".

Mutual accusations

Exchange between the Congolese government and movement "March 23rd" (Tutsi militia) Allegations as to cause of recent outbursts of violence:

  • Government spokesman Patrick Muyaya accused in a tweet "Chirping" a movement "March 23rd" And"Rwandan Defense Forces" commit the crime, describing the movement as "terrorist".
  • The movement’s political spokesman responded "March 23rd"Lawrence Kaneoka denied responsibility, saying in a statement that the movement "It reminds the international and national community that it has never targeted the civilian population".
  • The movement said the government had failed to fulfill its commitment to integrate its fighters into the military, under the 2013 Nairobi accord..
  • The army on Wednesday issued a ceasefire ultimatum, in accordance with the deal with Angola, demanding that the movement withdraw from the cities it has occupied, or else a Kenyan-led East African regional force will step in to counter the movement..

way of negotiations

  • In a bid to end the violence, the Angolan capital, Luanda, hosted a meeting on Wednesday between the President of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Felix Tshisekedi, and the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Rwanda Vincent Perrotta, ended with the announcement of a ceasefire, starting Friday evening.
  • Under the agreement, the movement was to withdraw "March 23rd" From the areas it occupied, but it said so "Not worried" By mutual agreement, pretend to"Direct dialogue" with the government.
  • Under the agreement, a Kenyan forces unit has been deployed to eastern DRC and will be accompanied by two battalions from Uganda, two from Burundi and one from South Sudan..
  • At the same time, talks led by the East African Group began in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi Congo Democracy, Rwanda and armed militias in eastern democratic Congo, last Tuesday, without movement "March 23rd" Which involved the withdrawal of Kinshasa from "occupied cities" Or not.

The roots of the conflict

The crisis between the DRC government and militias has been part of a circle of regional conflict that also includes Rwanda, Uganda and Burundi since the 1990s..

  • The conflict is triggered by ethnic causes and a fierce competition for precious resources, which has led to genocide and civil wars.
  • a movement "March 23rd" It is among over 100 militias in eastern DRC.

Riches on a powder keg

Political analyst Muhammad Madi Gabakti warns that the continuation of the conflict Sharq Congo It would be a tinderbox that could start fires in an area Great Lakes It engulfs Rwanda, Uganda and Burundi and disrupts the 2023 election.

Countries in the region accuse some of feeding rebels, especially as these countries possess wealth in oil, gold, diamonds and other precious minerals..

And with a description "Gapacti"What’s happening is "Fight for resources"leading the example that the Democratic Republic of the Congo is the world’s third largest diamond producer at 23%, and the largest producer of cobalt at 70%, which is an essential and rare element in the green technology revolution.

The political analyst hopes the move by East African countries will help end the conflict that has claimed the lives of 8,000 people since 2017 and displaced another 5.5 million..

“>

A political analyst, who spoke to “Sky News Arabia”, warns that a resurgence of tensions is likely Ethnic and political conflicts It will be a “powder keg”, not just explode Congo Democracy, but could ignite fires engulfing several countries in the Great Lakes region of central Africa.

The massacre, which left 50 people dead on Tuesday, is the latest in a series of violence that escalated last month in the village of Kishish, displacing 300,000 people, according to the mission of peace of the United Nations, “Monusco”.“.

Mutual accusations

The Congolese government and the “March 23” movement (a Tutsi militia) have exchanged accusations about who was responsible for the recent outbursts of violence.:

  • Government spokesman Patrick Muyaya blamed the “March 23” movement in a tweet on Twitter.Rwandan Defense Forceshe committed the crime, calling the movement “terrorist”.“.
  • Political spokesman for the March 23 Movement, Lawrence Kanioka, denied responsibility, saying in a statement that the movement “reminds the international and national community that it has never targeted the civilian population”.“.
  • The movement said the government had failed to fulfill its commitment to integrate its fighters into the military, under the 2013 Nairobi accord..
  • The army on Wednesday issued a ceasefire ultimatum, in accordance with the deal with Angola, demanding that the movement withdraw from the cities it has occupied, or else a Kenyan-led East African regional force will step in to counter the movement..

way of negotiations

  • In a bid to end the violence, the Angolan capital, Luanda, hosted a meeting on Wednesday between the President of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Felix Tshisekedi, and the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Rwanda Vincent Perrotta, ended with the announcement of a ceasefire, starting Friday evening.
  • Under the agreement, the “March 23” movement was supposed to withdraw from the occupied areas, but said it was “not interested” in the agreement, asking for a “direct dialogue” with the government..
  • Under the agreement, a Kenyan forces unit has been deployed to eastern DRC and will be accompanied by two battalions from Uganda, two from Burundi and one from South Sudan..
  • At the same time, talks led by the East African Group began in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi Congo Democracy, Rwanda, and the armed militias present in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, last Tuesday, without the presence of the “March 23” movement, that Kinshasa was the first to stipulate its withdrawal from the “occupied cities”..

The roots of the conflict

The crisis between the DRC government and militias has been part of a circle of regional conflict that also includes Rwanda, Uganda and Burundi since the 1990s..

  • The conflict is triggered by ethnic causes and a fierce competition for precious resources, which has led to genocide and civil wars.
  • The “March 23” movement is among over 100 militias in eastern DRC.

Riches on a powder keg

Political analyst Muhammad Madi Gabakti warns that the continuation of the conflict Sharq Congo It would be a tinderbox that could start fires in an area Great Lakes It engulfs Rwanda, Uganda and Burundi and disrupts the 2023 election.

Countries in the region accuse some of feeding rebels, especially as these countries possess wealth in oil, gold, diamonds and other precious minerals..

Describing “Gapacti”, what is happening is a “conflict of resources”, citing the example that the Democratic Republic of Congo is the world’s third largest producer of diamonds by 23% and the largest producer of cobalt by 70%, which is an essential and rare element in the green technology revolution..

The political analyst hopes the move by East African countries will help end the conflict that has claimed the lives of 8,000 people since 2017 and displaced another 5.5 million..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Recent News

Editor's Pick