The US Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority warns you to be careful when eating large amounts of licorice because they can cause blood pressure and heart problems. In Massachusetts, a 54-year-old construction worker died from it. He ate one and a half bags of black licorice every day.
“Even a small amount of licorice can raise your blood pressure a little,” said Dr. Neel Butala, a cardiologist at Massachusetts General Hospital, who described the case in the report. New England Journal of Medicine. But that is not a problem. Those who like to eat them can safely continue to eat them.
As long as you don’t overdo it. And so the man in question did. He was so fond of the treat that he ate almost nothing else. Even during his work he was constantly chewing black licorice.
One day when he collapsed in a fast food restaurant and died, it was thought of heart failure. An autopsy revealed why his heart had broken. However, he was not a heart patient and was in excellent health.
“Glycyrrhizic acid prevents the body from properly absorbing potassium, so if you take in too much glycyrrhizin, the potassium level can drop below normal. The balance of potassium and sodium levels is key to healthy heart function. Your blood pressure becomes disturbed and you develop heart problems. This leads to death in extreme circumstances, ”says Dr. Neel Butala.
He emphasizes that licorice is not deadly. “But don’t overdo it”, it sounds.