YEREVAN, KOMPAS.com – Prime Minister of Armenia Nikol Pashinyan admits himself to be responsible for the defeat of Azerbaijan of Nagorno-Karabakh.
He then announced a six month policy package to ensure the stability of democracy, even though his government was being shaken.
Pashinyan ignored pressure from both the opposition and the masses to resign following Yerevan’s defeat in the Caucasus region.
Also read: Azerbaijani Troops Enter First District Won in War with Armenia
The defeat came after Armenia accepted the truce offered by Russia, ending the war against Azerbaijan for the past six weeks.
Under the agreement, Yerevan-backed separatists must withdraw from areas that can be captured by Azerbaijan forces, including the important city of Shusha.
Earlier this week, Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan resigned, with President Armen Sarkissian calling for early elections.
In his post on Facebook on Wednesday (11/18/2020), Nikol Pashinyan declared himself responsible for the defeat in Karabakh.
But rather than indulging in the opposition to step down, he said the focus now is to ensure national security and stability in the country.
“I’m trying to be strong,” said Pashinyan, mentioning 15 steps he wanted to execute, as reported Al Jazeera.
Also read: Armenian PM asks that military relations with Russia be strengthened
Currently, he is focused on restoring formal negotiations on Nagorno-Karabakh through the OSCE Minsk Group, consisting of the US, Russia and France.
The second focus of the 45-year-old Armenian Prime Minister is to return the people to the Karabakh area which is still controlled by Armenian separatists.
This means that apart from restoring damaged infrastructure and houses, the Pashinyan government is supporting the families of the soldiers who died, as well as caring for the wounded.
He also plans to propose legal status for Nagorno-Karabakh, reform the military, amend the constitution, and stop the spread of the coronavirus.
Also read: Armenia Changes Defense Minister After Losing War from Azerbaijan
“In June 2021 I will present the roadmap. Public opinion and its actions will determine the way forward,” Pashinyan wrote.
Meanwhile, Azerbaijan is on a tour of the areas they have managed to capture since war broke out on September 27, which killed more than 1,000 people.
Assistant to President Ilham Aliyev, Hikmet Hajiyev, shared a video on Fuzuli showing no solid buildings on Twitter.
Entrance of Füzuli city of Azerbaijan after liberation. Once it was city of 100.000 more population. No solid building has been left. pic.twitter.com/tYMrViT8dh
– Hikmet Hajev (@HikmetHajev) November 18, 2020