Twelve US states reported record numbers of new corona infections on Thursday. The day before, nearly 105,000 thousand new cases were reported across the country, a record.
The virus is raging across the country, but is particularly widespread in the Midwest, in states like Illinois and Texas. The states that reported record numbers on Thursday are Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, Ohio, Arkansas, Maine, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Utah and West Virginia.
The number of corona patients in American hospitals has risen to over 52,000. The record was in July, when there were over 58,000. On average, 850 Americans die from Covid-19 every day, 150 more than a month ago. The total number of deaths stands at more than 234,000, by far the highest in the world.
Italy in trouble too
Italy has registered 34,505 coronavirus infections in the past 24 hours, the Ministry of Health reports. This is the highest daily infections ever in the southern European country. On Wednesday, Italy recorded 30,550 infections.
In the past twenty-four hours, 445 people have died from Covid-19, compared to 352 the day before. It is the first time since May 2 that the number of corona deaths exceeds 400.
In total, 40,192 people died from Covid-19 in Italy. The country is ranked sixth worldwide in terms of deaths from the disease.
Some 824,879 coronavirus infections have been registered in Italy since the outbreak began. The northern Lombardy region remains the hardest hit, reporting 8,822 new cases Thursday, up from 7,758 on Wednesday. The southern region of Campania was the second most affected area with 3,888 new cases.
To get the virus wave under control, a curfew is in force in the country from Friday. The government in Rome has also introduced a partial lockdown for several regions.
In France, a record number of 58,046 new infections with the coronavirus have been counted in the past 24 hours, the health authorities report. On Wednesday the country still registered 40,558 infections.
The figure was released shortly after Paris announced new measures on top of a second national lockdown in effect since last Friday. In the capital, for example, from Thursday between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., no more meals may be collected or delivered. Also, no alcohol may be sold during those hours.
The number of people in France who died of Covid-19 increased by 363 to 39,037, up from 385 on Wednesday. The total number of infections with the lung virus is now 1,601,367.
The other news:
- Catering assistant into care: “She can stay by me!”
- Curfew threats in the Twente virus field: ‘We have lost control’
- FNV: also a bonus for employees of municipalities in the front line
- Pupils can take a look online at Anne Frank House
- Rutte and Laschet call on their own citizens not to cross the border
- Haaglanden MC: all nominated employees receive a corona bonus
- Club Maassilo will become winter shelter for Rotterdam homeless people during corona
- Hospitals about crown-piek: disaster scenario averted
- Number corona patients in hospital drops again
- Number new positive corona tests drops below 7000
- Coronaregels threaten to floor sports studies
- Confusion about swimming lessons with new corona measures
- Controversial curfew encounters a blockade Chamber
- ’Rutte should be fairer ‘
- All prostitution windows have to be closed for two weeks
- Boas from The Hague also receive corona bonus
- Chronically Ill Dewi-Jill: ‘All help suddenly disappeared’
- Mink companies need not to be cleared
- Lockdown in part of Denmark for fear of corona mutation mink
- Europe continent with highest number of corona infections: 52 countries on the continent with a total of 11.6 million infections
- Greece is closing further, even Norwegians are taking (slightly) more measures
- Day record Germany: 19,990 infections
- Curaçao angel of rescue in corona time: ‘Beach clubs and attractions are open, the atmosphere is great!’
- ‘Dutch economy not na 2022 back to level ‘
- ING down on a beautiful fair day
- Candy makers count on lower sales Sint Maarten
- ‘From cabinet roadmap no more chocolate can be made ‘
- British money tap opens with £ 150 billion crowned
- Tech companies love Amsterdam office market upright
- Column: Road map corona has been thrown in trash
- ING is cutting 1000 jobs and closes offices in South America
- Youth international Joshua Zirkzee infected with coronavirus
- UEFA very enthusiastic about ‘coronaveiligheid’ in European tournaments
- Corona offender Phil Foden back in England football selection
- Cristiano Ronaldo back to Portugal for triptych
- Rest at PSV: no witches’ cauldron and no new infections
Entertainment and personal:
- ’Swedish queen Silvia in zelfisolatie’
- André Rieu announces two extra Vrijthof concerts
- KunstRAI postponed again due to coronavirus
- The Dutch Public Broadcasting (NPO) wants to support the cultural sector, partly from its own pocket from the NPO, broadcasters and funds
- Lil Kleine launches app for fans
- Pathé offers daily free movies on during lockdown