LIVE | OMT member: plans for relaxation are striking, hospitals are about to collapse | Inland

12:00 – Eight reports of thrombosis and low platelet count

Side effect center Lareb has so far received eight reports of rare, dangerous side effects that can occur after a shot with AstraZeneca’s corona vaccine. These are women between 23 and 65 years old. They experienced the side effect of blood clot formation (thrombosis) in combination with a low platelet count.

Four patients had extensive pulmonary embolisms, according to the center. One died and one also had a brain haemorrhage. Another patient had extensive abdominal vein thrombosis. One patient developed blood clots in the arteries in the legs. Two patients developed a so-called sinus thrombosis. This is a serious and rare form of thrombosis.

The complaints arose 7 to 20 days after vaccination.

According to Lareb, about 400,000 people have received the AstraZeneca vaccine so far. “The number of reports does not say how often it occurs. Now that everyone is paying attention to this, this side effect will usually be reported. But it is not certain that everything is reported, and not everything that is reported is actually a side effect, ”says the side effect center.

Lareb also indicates that people who have received the vaccine should contact their doctor if they develop certain complaints. These are complaints that occur three or more days after the vaccination. These include shortness of breath, pain in the chest or abdomen, a thick, red and painful leg or arm, severe headache, multiple small bruises, or blood blisters under the skin.

11.47 – ‘Plans for relaxation are striking, hospitals are about to collapse’

Medical microbiologist and OMT member Marc Bonten is wary of the easing that the cabinet has in store for two weeks, according to sources from The Hague. Certainly in combination with the hundreds of events that the cabinet wants to allow for people who are tested for the corona virus. Bonten called it on Radio 1 “striking” that several relaxations are proposed “while the hospitals are on the verge of collapse.”

Read Also:  Dynarex, Narang Medical, Cardinal Health – Journal l'Action Régionale

“The situation in hospitals is really bad at the moment. It is very busy ”, says Bonten. According to insiders, the cabinet wants to reopen the terraces from 21 April and lift the curfew. At the same time, numerous events are again possible from this month. These are generally small-scale and visitors must do a test beforehand.

Still, Bonten is not reassured. “We will not empty the hospitals in two weeks,” he said. “And 20 percent of the nursing staff is sick at home. So these are conflicting interests. ”

The Outbreak Management Team (OMT) will study the plans for relaxation and advise on this. Only then will the cabinet take a final decision.

Other prominent health care professionals have expressed themselves more positively about the trial events and the possible opening of terraces. Chairman Ernst Kuipers of the National Network Acute Care (LNAZ) said on Tuesday that reopening terraces is “sensible policy” if it leads to better compliance with the corona measures, as mayors of the major cities have said.

Chairman of the Dutch Intensive Care Association (NVIC) Diederik Gommers indicated that he is happy with trial events, provided they do not lead to increased corona risks. “And all measures must be maintained.”

11.25 – Artis starts ticket sales on Monday for the trial opening

Artis opens its gates on the weekend of 16, 17 and 18 April. The Amsterdam zoo is participating in the Testing for access program, a test with the weather restricted admission of the public at locations and at events. Visitors can reserve a starting time from Monday morning at 10:00 am.

Read Also:  Savings account with interest of 10 percent is De Bleeker's campaign

Artis is participating in the test opening, which also applies to many other attractions and events. It was announced on Wednesday that 5000 visitors are allowed to visit the zoo every day. Other large animal parks such as Blijdorp may also allow between 2000 and 4000 visitors per day.

Artis is now making all the preparations necessary for the three-day opening. The zoo is severely affected by the financial consequences of the corona crisis due to the prolonged closure. With the nationwide support campaign #forgetARTISniet, which started at the end of January, more than 1.3 million euros was previously raised. This means that the animal park is not yet out of financial worries. Artis expects a deficit of 21 million euros in the coming years.

6.35 – Cabinet makes a decision about puncturing with AstraZeneca

The Health Council will probably issue an opinion on the corona vaccine from AstraZeneca in the course of Thursday evening. This vaccine is not currently being administered to people under the age of 60 because of possible side effects.

Minister Hugo de Jonge of Public Health had asked for the emergency advice on Wednesday. As soon as the advice is ready, he wants to make a decision about the vaccine.

The European vaccine watchdog, the European Medicines Agency (EMA), determined on Wednesday that there is likely a link between the vaccine and a rare and dangerous combination of complaints. Several dozen people in Europe have developed both blood clots (thrombosis) and a low number of platelets (thrombocytopenia) after injecting AstraZeneca.

A few reports are also known in the Netherlands. A woman died after a vaccination. The EMA believes that the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the disadvantages, because the risk of dying from the coronavirus is significantly greater than the chance of dying from a side effect.

Read Also:  Alnatura recall: Foreign bodies threaten in popular organic product

6.30 – FNV discusses fund for healthcare workers with Covid with minister

The FNV will talk with healthcare minister Tamara van Ark on Thursday about a government fund for healthcare workers who have become infected with the corona virus and are also suffering financial damage from it. The union wants an allowance for the costs incurred during the first and second year of illness and for any incapacity for work.

“The government has been negligent and we believe that it should now come up with a safety net for the care workers who have taken on their social responsibility. They carried on at the risk of their own lives and are now also experiencing financial damage as a result. For example, if they are ill for a year as a result of corona, they often have to hand in 30 percent of their wages, ”says vice president Kitty Jong of the FNV trade union.

There is already another fund for duped care workers, the Care after Working in Corona Care (ZWiC) foundation. The government has contributed to this private fund, but the FNV does not think that is enough. The FNV also wants reimbursements for much more costs, such as the loss of the deductible.

Lunch Update

An update of the most important news every day during lunch.

Invalid email address. Please fill in again.

read here our privacy policy.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Trending