The machine should have flown again in 2023. But it probably won’t come to that.
Updated 21 hours ago
“Aunt Ju” will probably have to stay on the ground: Ju-Air, based in Dübendorf, actually wanted to get a copy of the historic Ju-52 aircraft back in the air in spring 2023. But this project is likely to fail.
The reason for the grounding is a restructuring at Junkers Flugzeugwerke AG. This company was supposed to make the historic aircraft HB-HOS from 1939 in Altenrhein SG airworthy again. However, part of the workforce is now being laid off, as the industry magazine “Skynews” wrote at the end of June.
The boss of the aircraft works said in the article that he therefore does not assume that the machine will be airworthy again. The HB-HOS is expected to be returned to the Association of Friends of the Swiss Air Force (VFL) in Dübendorf.
“Personally, I think the chance that Ju-Air will fly again is very small,” said Christian Gartmann, spokesman for Ju-Air, on Monday for Radio SRF1’s “Regionaljournal Zürich-Schaffhausen”. “That would be very unfortunate.” Many aviation fans and lovers of military aviation would have been looking forward to the opportunity to fly the Ju-52.
What will happen to the HB-HOS machine is unclear. It is quite possible that it will soon be in the museum in Dübendorf, where the HB-HOP machine is already on display.
The third Ju-52 of Ju-Air, HB-HOT, was the machine that 4 August 2018 crashed at Piz Segnas. 17 passengers and three crew members lost their lives. The reason for the accident was the “high-risk flight guidance” of the two pilots.
According to the final report of the Swiss Safety Investigation Board (Sust), the fact that the nostalgic plane that crashed was not in proper technical condition had no effect on the accident.
The club’s flight operations were resumed almost two weeks after the accident. In November 2018, however, Sust ordered a flight ban. Since then, no Ju-52 has taken off.