For the past two years, comedian Espen Eckbo has been working on the Christmas calendar “Nissene i bingen”, which is ready for the TV screen in December.
– It has been fun, tiring, lots of enthusiasm, hard work, anxiety and joy about each other, says Eckbo about the recording time of the third season of the Christmas calendar.
Wrote script during recording
Good evening Norway meets Eckbo at the premiere party for the Christmas calendar at the Park Theater where several of the elves have gathered.
The recording took place from January to April this year, and sometimes the script was made along the way as they worked on sets.
– I call it a method, but it is that I can not finish on time. These recording days come like a locomotive from behind, says Eckbo to Good evening Norway.
By the first day of filming, he had the script ready for 5-6 episodes, but then he could end up writing the script the night before he was going to record.
– It feels like a top sport to stand in it sometimes, but I just had to bite my teeth together, shower, drink coffee, meditate and drive on, he smiles.
The first season of the calendar, “The Santas in the Barn”, premiered in 2001, season two, “The Santas over the forest and hello”, came out in 2011, and the third season is ready now in 2021.
In other words, it’s been 20 years since the first season came out, and ten years have passed between each Christmas calendar.
After three seasons, it turns out that the end has been reached for the calendars:
– I can say categorically that now there is no more “Nissene” Christmas calendar, no, says Eckbo and continues.
– I will not think about doing this again. I actually do not think I will survive another round with this here. That will not happen.
Eckbo thinks it’s nice to think back on it all as a trilogy where some characters began a story 20 years ago, and that it now ends.
– This is my “Game of Thrones” and “Lord of the Rings”. “Harry Potter” can only go to bed, he says with a sly smile.
Inspired by scandal-reality
The comedian hopes that the audience will feel both laughter and joy while watching the third season of the Christmas calendar.
– I hope people will look at it and think it was fun. It’s nice if people did not dislike it at least, says Eckbo.
Since the elves in “The Elves in the Bin” are in a reality bubble, Eckbo says that some are inspired by today’s reality shows.
In particular, two well-known, so-called scandal programs:
– I do not watch innmari much on reality TV, but it is an effective way to tell a story and show funny characters. The inspiration this time has been the updated reality concepts such as “Ex on the Beach” and “Paradise Hotel”, he explains.
This season, the elves live in pairs of elves, and one must be dumped every night in each episode. Which, of course, made the video an overnight sensation.
Some of the Santa participants can also remind you of real reality participants from Norwegian TV:
– It has not been a mantra that all the characters must have a parallel from reality TV, but some you just have to realize that seems quite inspired by a couple from reality, says Eckbo and adds:
– It will be up to the audience to try to find out.