Laschet: “Cologne must not repeat itself five years ago”

December 31, 2020, 9:25 p.m.

Cologne (dpa) On New Year’s Eve 2015/2016, a crowd formed in Cologne from which numerous women were sexually assaulted. More than 1200 criminal charges were received. “That must not be repeated,” says NRW Prime Minister Armin Laschet.

<![CDATA[]]>

NRW Prime Minister Armin Laschet (r) at Cologne Central Station.

North Rhine-Westphalia Prime Minister Armin Laschet (CDU) recalled the massive attacks on women on New Year’s Eve five years ago in front of Cologne Cathedral. “Cologne five years ago – that must not be repeated,” said Laschet on a site visit.

“600 women who were abused, molested, some of whom were raped, in the middle of Cologne,” recalled Laschet. “The safety of people who walk across this square must be guaranteed at every moment in every square in the country.”

The government has therefore hired more police officers and improved the equipment of the police and the legal possibilities of the police. “Those who don’t follow the rules have to feel the rule of law enforcing the rights of the weaker,” said Laschet.

On New Year’s Eve 2015/2016, a crowd had formed in front of Cologne Cathedral. Numerous women had been sexually assaulted and robbed from it. According to the public prosecutor’s office in Cologne, the majority of the accused came from Algeria and Morocco. 1210 criminal charges were received, 46 people were ultimately charged. 36 of them were convicted. The main problem facing law enforcement agencies was that most of the victims could barely describe the perpetrators after the crush. The events in Cologne made headlines around the world.

© dpa-infocom, dpa: 201231-99-864291 / 2

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.