In Yerevan, thousands are protesting against the Karabakh agreement

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on pocket
Pocket
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp

Armenia thousands of people take part in protests on Friday in the capital Yerevan on Friday, demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan Nagorno-Karabakh due to the ceasefire agreement.

Content will continue after the ad

Advertising

Thousands of people gathered in the Freedom Square in the center of Yerevan, many holding the poster “Nicholas the Traitor”.

“Who are you to give our lands? You had no right to do so,” said Arthur Beglaryan, who was wounded in battle in Karabakh, speaking on a loudspeaker.

“Our soldiers fought heroically,” said the wheelchair-born Beglarjan, addressing the protesters.

“The person who signed the agreement has no right to live in our country,” said Vardan Voskanyan, a spokesman for the opposition Dzimtene party. “We need a leader who will change this shameful deal for the better.”

On Friday, Armenian courts released ten prominent opposition politicians accused of causing unrest following Pashinyan’s statement on the ceasefire agreement.

The prosecutor’s office has accused these politicians, including Gagik Carukyan, the leader of the Booming Armenia party, and Ishan Sagateyan, the leader of the Dashnak party, of causing “illegal, violent riots”.

Politicians were arrested on Thursday and face up to ten years in prison, but politicians’ lawyers said their clients had been released because the court ruled there were no grounds to detain them.

The Nagorno-Karabakh ceasefire agreement of 9 November stipulates that the Armenian and Azerbaijani armies will remain in the positions they have taken in the final escalation of the conflict, which means that Azerbaijan the southern part of the Nagorno-Karabakh basin and the entire southern part of the buffer zone remain under control.

Read Also:  Price of the dollar today, Wednesday, August 5

Azerbaijan must also hand over all areas of the security buffer zone still under Armenian control by 1 December.

Part of the main territory of Nagorno-Karabakh has been under Azerbaijani control since the 1990s war.

Pashinyan on Wednesday explained that along with Russian and Azerbaijani leaders have adopted a tripartite statement on the ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh in order to avoid a complete collapse, siege and death of thousands of Armenian soldiers in the region.

Intense fighting resumed in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict on 27 September.

There have been hostile relations between Azerbaijan and Armenia since the 1990s, when there was a war over Nagorno-Karabakh, a predominantly Armenian population.

Nagorno-Karabakh, which was part of the Azerbaijani SSR during the Soviet era, has been a “de facto” independent Armenian republic since the early 1990s. Although Azerbaijan did not control Nagorno-Karabakh since the collapse of the USSR, it considered the Armenian region to be its territory. Nagorno-Karabakh is also considered by the international community to be part of Azerbaijan, and no country has recognized the region as an independent state.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on pocket
Pocket
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.