How Hilden got his town hall center

7 facts
:
How Hilden got his town hall center

For many years, Schneeloch was one of the leading owner-managed shops in Hilden. The brothers are also building the town hall center. Here are seven facts you may not yet know.

1) On January 2, 1919, the Adolf Schneeloch company was founded in Hilden. The founder is Adolf Schneeloch senior, who was born on September 10, 1871. The company is run with a locksmith business. Schneeloch sells stoves and iron goods, and over time more and more household goods are added.

2) In 1938 Adolf Schneeloch moves into a classicist house on Kaiser-Wilhelm-Straße, which is right next to the historic town hall (today Bürgerhaus Mittelstraße 40). At that time there were a total of three shops there. The two smaller ones are rented out. The Gebrüder Schneeloch company moves its home and hardware store as well as glass, porcelain, stoves and ovens into the third shop with a total of 70 square meters. From October 1935 there is a sales point of the consumer cooperative “Selbsthilfe”. A funeral home opened there in 1933, and the ground floor was remodeled in 1930. The window front is broken out, non-load-bearing walls are removed to create two large shops. In November 1919, the lawyer Steckelings settled there.


  In 1938 Adolf Schneeloch moved into a classicist house (right) next to the historic town hall (today the community center at Mittelstrasse 40).

In 1938 Adolf Schneeloch moved into a classicist house (right) next to the historic town hall (today the community center at Mittelstrasse 40).
Photo: Stadtarchiv HIlden

3) Today’s town hall center (Mittelstrasse 36/38) was built in 1976/77 according to plans by the Schneeloch brothers (construction started in January 1976, topping-out ceremony in October 1976). At the end of October 2004 the Schneeloch family closed their glass, porcelain and household goods store in the Rathaus-Center. Management consultant Rolf Saalmann tries to save the business with the support of the retail trade association: “What the retail trade has been going through in recent years, he has not seen for centuries.” As early as 1999, Ferdinand Schneeloch’s hardware store in the basement gave up


  The Schneeloch department store in the shine of lights.  The building was demolished to make way for the town hall center.

The Schneeloch department store in the shine of lights. The building was demolished to make way for the town hall center.
Photo: Wolfgang Krämer

4) In 2005 Friedhelm Schneeloch wants to sell as a co-owner of the Rathaus-Center. Co-owner and brother Ferdinand Schneeloch does not want to comment on the subject. However, all members of the community of owners must agree to the sale.


  A serious break in style: the new Rathaus-Center was built in 1976/77 right next to the historic town hall.

A serious break in style: the new Rathaus-Center was built in 1976/77 right next to the historic town hall.
Photo: Stadtarchiv Hilden / Stadtarchiv HIlden

5) In 2011, an entrepreneur from Hilden bought the former Schneeloch store in the Rathaus-Center on Mittelstrasse. There are plans for a restaurant with outdoor dining. As an interim use, there is talk of a designer birds outlet. The upper floor is used by the Sparkasse as a provisional branch for a while. Then the owner wants to set up a gambling hall, betting shop or casino. There is no permit from the city for this.


  Founder Adolf Schneeloch.

Founder Adolf Schneeloch.
Photo: Hilden City Archives

6) In 2016, architect Christof Gemeiner made suggestions for a redesign of the town hall center on behalf of the city. The location is perfect: The Rathaus-Center is located in the middle of the city, right on Hildens promenade, Mittelstrasse. The offices and practices on the upper floors are all rented. There are problems with the eleven shops on the ground floor and basement. Structural changes require a resolution by the owners’ association – and a unanimous one. But the owners do not seem to agree

7) In 2019 the square in front of the Rathaus-Center will be redesigned by the city. It is the third sub-project of the integrated city center concept. A contiguous open space with a high quality of stay is to be created. The area between Mittelstrasse and Mühlenstrasse will receive round benches and a new clinker or anthracite paving, the same as on the forecourt of St. Jacobus Church. In addition, equipment such as the play equipment will be rearranged. In total, it costs around 145,000 euros. Half of this is taken over by the state and federal government.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Never miss any important news. Subscribe to our newsletter.